Dictation passages

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jenntracy

Dictation passages

Post by jenntracy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:49 am

I am looking at the level 5 dictation passage in CTC. i was comparing it to the YEar 5 modern speller book on google free books and matching up passages. i noticed there are some in the first half that are from somewhere else? how does the dictation Carrie uses in the back guides match up to the modern spellers? they are by the same person. I may be using the level 6 for my son who will be using CTC next year with extensions for 6th grade. i may start him in the middle of level 5 but wnt to know where to go from there. i was just going to use the Year 6 book online but wondered if i should just go in order of the book. i don't have the next level from Carrie because CTC is the highest guide i have so far. Thanks!
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

jenntracy

Re: Dictation passages

Post by jenntracy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:39 am

bump
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Nealewill

Re: Dictation passages

Post by Nealewill » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:54 pm

I am not quite sure how they compare specifically. I know that the spelling passages come from the series Day by Day dictation. As for which level to use, it is more about training your child's brain to see the spelling correctly and then for them to begin memorizing the words that they see. For me, I have my kids do approximately 1 level below their grade level - with the exception of my middle child. He is not a good speller at all. He will probably end up being 2 levels below his grade level. I don't have my manual in front of me but if the level 5 and the level 6 are int he back of the CTC book, you could always pick and chose where to start. If not, then I would probably start with level 5 at the beginning and have him complete one level that year.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM