Storytime and DITHOR in Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
queenireneof3

Storytime and DITHOR in Bigger

Post by queenireneof3 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:56 pm

Hello!

I am immersing myself in the catalog and HOD webpage to think through next year for us. My ds (will be 9) and dd (will be 7) will be moving up to Bigger next year. My son will be ready to start DITHOR 2/3. I was wondering if the similarity between the DITHOR and the Storytime assignments get repetitious? If he starts DITHOR with a biography, we will also be reading a biography in our Storytime box. Is it recommended to stagger genres or start him on DITHOR earlier than he starts the BIGGER guide so he isn't doing similar biography assignments back to back in both boxes? Perhaps this is not an issue at all, but I thought I would ask you veterans. Thanks!

Sara
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

Nealewill

Re: Storytime and DITHOR in Bigger

Post by Nealewill » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:03 am

It is up to you if wanted to do the same genre for DITHOR as storytime. I actually have never done the same genre. For me, I used to let my oldest pick the order of the books she completed for DITHOR. Now, I will soon have 3 kids in DITHOR and so I am picking the order of their books. I don't necessarily think it would be repetitive either. It would just be a larger emphasis. One nice thing about staggering the genres so that they didn't match up is that your kids would give you the opportunity to talk about that genre one more time during the year. And you could compare and contrast a bit of the two genres you are studying. But I have found this to be a non-issue. My oldest (even my son) are both fairly good at identifying the different genres fairly well. But that is because we have talked about it over multiple years. And I feel like they are have really learned a lot, both through story time and through DITHOR, that has really targeted various elements of the stories. The activities in story time are fairly different from the activities in DITHOR. So in that sense, that is really good and helpful for it to not feel like a repeat.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

queenireneof3

Re: Storytime and DITHOR in Bigger

Post by queenireneof3 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Thank you, Daneale!
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14