MTMM for 9th and 11th grades?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jackieb

MTMM for 9th and 11th grades?

Post by jackieb » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:36 pm

Hello HOD families!
I am having a bit of a decision dilemma, so I hope y'all can help me some with this. We are fairly new to HOD (tried MTMM last year but gave up too soon, so sad) and wonder what would be recommended for our children. I was planning on beginning with RtR for my soon-to-be 6th grade ds, then need some direction for our 9th and 11th grade dd's. My children do not have a whole lot of experience with narrations and such, which is why I am stuck as to where to start them off. My 11th grade dd still needs US History credit before graduation and although I have considered using the upcoming US History high school program, I am concerned that it might be too big of a jump (skill level wise) for her to start with. So, I was looking at MTMM for both her and my 9th grade dd. Then she could possibly do Government/Economics in 12th, with my 9th then moving onto WG. Does this make sense, or am I over thinking it? Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. God bless!

Jackie B.
Jackie in TN
Married for 21 years to my love, mother to DS 21, DD 16, DD 14, and DS 11.
Loving Jesus for over 20 years!

MomtoJGJE

Re: MTMM for 9th and 11th grades?

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:10 am

I have no idea about the high school levels, but if you haven't done written narrations RtR might be difficult for your 6th grader. I'd probably put him at CtC or even Preparing with extensions.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:07 am

Another option for your older two works be to do Rev2Rev this year and MtMM next year. You would beef up the government in Rev2Rev and the economics in MtMM to get those credits in. Carrie had listed summer good options for that in the Beefing Up pinned topic. The main benefit of this is that the oldest wouldn't just be getting the 1900s to modern portion of US History.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

momxnine

Post by momxnine » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:56 am

Stephanie, do a search for "beefing up MTMM." There are several posts that may help you. Carrie & Mike are traveling to conventions right now, so it might take longer to get a reply. So in the meantime read some of those posts and see if you can figure anything out. I've sort of been working on the same issue with my almost 8th grader for planning over the upcoming high school years. I know MTMM can be beefed up for credit, it's just figuring out exactly what you want to do. :)
Vicki in SW. MO.
Mom of 9 (ages 14 - 35) and Grammy to 7
14 ds - Finished CTC, RTR and Rev To Rev; MTMM - Fall of 2016

jackieb

Post by jackieb » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:10 am

Thank you for your suggestions, ladies! I am going to look into this further. I guess my only issue with this is having to beef up something I already feel is "full," so to speak. I am praying and asking if this is the right direction for our family. I love the way HOD looks and I've heard such wonderful things about it. ;-)
Jackie in TN
Married for 21 years to my love, mother to DS 21, DD 16, DD 14, and DS 11.
Loving Jesus for over 20 years!