Dictation level for 6th grade

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jenntracy

Dictation level for 6th grade

Post by jenntracy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:23 pm

Which dictation level should i use for a 6th grader? He doe really well in reading, spelling, writing,etc
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Nealewill

Re: Dictation level for 6th grade

Post by Nealewill » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:49 am

I would look at the different levels in the back of the book and see which words you think he knows versus which words you think he has to learn. It will probably be a bit of trial and error. I have always found the beginning of the levels to be easier than the middle. With my oldest, she started dictation this year in CTC but she isn't a great speller. She does okay but not great. I started her in level 4. It was a good spot for her. With your child I would probably look at level 5 or 6. You could always start in the middle if you wanted. I would try and pick a spot to try out. If you feel like it is too easy, then you can do something harder. But if your child misses the same passage more then 3 times in a row, then I would go down in level. Regardless, I would probably not do a level higher than 6 when you start. You want it to be somewhat easy. It is about training their brain to remember how they saw the words for spelling, not so much for them to just learn a bunch of words. I have found this method so helpful! I have even had a few takeaways myself recently. I was trying to spell the word niche and I typed nitch. I knew that wasn't right so I was trying to remember a recent time I had seen it. I thought about it, got that picture in mind and then "saw" the word niche as I had seen it on a piece of paper. Dictation is such a great to learn and use. We have been very happy with it.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM