finishing ER 2/3's of the way done the year

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mumkins

finishing ER 2/3's of the way done the year

Post by Mumkins » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:32 am

My struggling reader has made leaps and bounds this year! We've just started The Bears on Hemlock Mountain. I can see this is a more challenging book for her. She's made a lot of progress and I'm very proud of her though. So while she's still getting her feet wet with enjoying reading, I'm not sure what to do. I know we'll begin level 2 books next. I'm not sure if I want to start with DITHOR right away or if I should just let her read level 2 for the remaining of the year and over the summer, then jump in with DITHOR and book pack 3 in September when she starts Preparing for 4th grade.

Any thoughts?
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

StephanieU

Re: finishing ER 2/3's of the way done the year

Post by StephanieU » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:09 am

How about reading the supplemental titles for the last few chapters as well as some of the chapter books Carrie lists at the end of the ER schedule? We finished the ER books a few weeks ago, and we are doing that plus some books from the Sample Book list that HOD sells for $5.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:59 am

We are also finishing the ER books. My daughter also just started The Bears on Hemlock Mountain. I plan to just let her read other books from Carrie's list or books from the library that I feel are on or about the level of reading she is doing. There are many titles on Carrie's list that I can't find in our library, and I can't buy them all, so I will have to use others. But, I am not planning to begin DITHOR before the fall, or a little later, depending on her progress. I just want to give her a lot of practice reading for independence and fluency. I'm just happy she is reading better, after much struggle due to dyslexia and eye-tracking issues. So, I'm not pushing it. :)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

jacynamommy

Post by jacynamommy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:05 pm

I'm in a similar situation with one of my kiddos, and I am just letting her read the 2/3 books for now and having her narrate to me what she read. From DITHOR experience with my older two, DITHOR is extra work and a bit overwhelming right at first for them, so if she is finally getting grounded in her reading, I'd let her enjoy just reading for the remainder of the year and then jump in with DITHOR in the fall!
Meredith

Trusting in Him to supply all my needs! Phil. 4:19
Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond