Singapore Math

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
realralston

Singapore Math

Post by realralston » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:55 pm

I'm looking into Beyond Little Hearts for my 1st grader this year. I've never used this curriculum, but am really happy with what I have read and seen! I guess I'm looking for input on the Singapore Math that is offered. I've heard of it but don't know much about it. How has it worked for your family, I know every child is different, I was just curious about it. Thank you!

Nealewill

Re: Singapore Math

Post by Nealewill » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:28 pm

I am not sure what you used for last year but I do really like Singapore. I only started using HOD last year and personally came from using a program called RightStart Math. The tricky thing with math is you don't want to jump around a lot. Each math program teaches different things in a slightly different order. When I started HOD, I had a 4th grader, 2nd grader and 1st grader. Because I do really like Singapore and didn't find it until after I had started RightStart, I wasn't sure when switching would be a good idea. This year, my dd in 5th grade, I did switch her over to Singapore. Next year though, after researching the skill progression with Singapore and comparing it to my current curriculum, I feel like I can easily switch my son over to Singapore for next year. With my youngest, I am still figuring it out.

I do really like Singapore though. It teaches kids to understand fully. With understanding, kids don't need to memorize so much. That is wonderful! I love quick lessons. I love how the review is done in the book. I love that they cover a topic and cover it well. I love that they teach addition and subtraction at the same time. And I love how they teach multiplication and division at the same time. The pictures are so helpful that they have the kids do. And I like how they introduce concepts and discussions. It is very cost effective and very balanced. I am really looking forward to the day all 3 of my kids can jump right in. Since your child is still close to the beginning of math making the switch should be no problem. HOD has some wonderful hands on activities scheduled in the Beyond and Bigger guides. I would do them - whether math is easy or not for your child. Those hands on activities are what help to seal the deal IMHO.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:57 am

I agree with the pp, it is a great program. The emphasis is on understanding, not "drill." I have found my children don't memorize their facts as fast, but they fully understand their math and they do learn the facts well over time. Singapore builds, so don't expect your child to fully understand a concept the first time it is introduced. Singapore will introduce a concept, then build on that in future books. As time goes on, your child masters it.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Rice

Post by Rice » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:08 am

I had always heard good things about Singapore but started my oldest 3 in MUS (mostly for the hands-on aspect), then the oldest 2 switched to TT just a year before coming to HOD (this is our first year). I kept those 3 kids in those programs but started my LHFHG DS (Grade 1/almost 7yo last fall) in Singapore with the HOD schedule (in the back of the LHFHG guide) for Grade 1 (he skipped the K level). He is really enjoying it (finding it easy, in fact, which I see as a good thing at this point). I will keep him in it for the foreseeable future.

MUS=Math U See (very hands-on, using colored manipulatives), TT=Teaching Textbooks(computer/CD based, interactive program)

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:24 am

My oldest son started with Singapore many, many years ago. I think we did levels 1 and 2. We switched to MUS, because I was a new homeschooler and always looking for something better. ;) That was absolutely one of the top 3 worst mistakes of my homeschool career. :( I wish we had stuck with Singapore. He used to love, love, love math. MUS killed it for us, and started him on a downward spiral in math. (That might be a little hyperbolic, but just a bit.) My next 5 children are all using Singapore right now, level 4,3,1 and K. We love it, and I will use Singapore through 6B with all of my kids, unless some strange learning needs come up.

I didn't understand the spiral approach versus the mastery approach until Carrie explained it all. Its so freeing to know that my children will be hitting topics over and over again, and that if they don't master it perfectly right now, they will get reintroduced to it again. I LOVE that it covers all four operations right away, and I really love how its laid out. With my 10yo, I wasn't using the textbooks, so I didn't know how much extra practice is included in guides 3 and up. Now, we are using those and the extra practice is wonderful. The kids groan at practice pages, but they really know what they are doing. :)
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

realralston

Post by realralston » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:13 pm

Thank you! Great advice. We have been using Alpha Omega Publications the past two years. For preschool it was Horizons and then for Kindergarten she has been doing the LifePacs. She has been doing well and seems to enjoy Math. From what you have all said I will keep Singapore in the forefront, I'm encouraged to try it! Thanks again!

jenn in nc

Post by jenn in nc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:30 pm

Motherjoy, how do you find time to teach Singapore to all your kids? I'm curious bc I'm considering switching my younger crew to Singapore, but that would be four levels now and eventually five.
Jenn, mom to 10

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:33 am

We absolutely LOVE Singapore math here! I am so impressed by the time spent on counting by 2's and 3's and then learning multiplication and division by 2 and 3. Awesome. There seems to be no rush and we feel relaxed and confident. DS is absolutely thriving. I am so glad we went with HOD's recommendations in math (and phonics and handwriting and everything else)!
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:52 pm

Teaching multiple levels of SM is not difficult. That's the beauty of SM! It doesn't take long to teach the lesson and there aren't too terribly many problems for the kids to work themselves.

I have four levels of SM right now.... we go at their own pace.

6th grade, midway through 6A - this child is not mathy. Some things she gets easily... like algebra concepts and ratios are no trouble at all. However fractions (which are just ratios!!) really throw her for a loop. She needs to not do math every day to be most successful because of the way she learns. She does math 2-3 days per week (we school 5 days per week) max

4th grade, midway through 4A - she understands math fairly easily, but will always choose to do only what I tell her she must do and only when I tell her she must do it. My second grader will likely pass her in math within a year. Could easily fly through the rest of 4A/B, but won't.

2nd grade, finishing up 3A - my math genius. She will almost always choose to do another lesson. I don't remember ever teaching her anything. She just thinks math.

K- finish up KB (or whatever the new ones are called) - She isn't as math gifted as the second grader, but she can do math much better than letters/reading right now. She will most likely be at grade level or one level ahead her whole career just like DD1.

When they come to me for their teacher time I go over any concepts that are new, point out any thing they need to be aware of (if signs change in the same section or whatever) and then send them off to do the work.

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:59 pm

Hello,

I thought I would post since math has been our hardest area. I also started my oldest son in Right start math which did not work for us. We switched to Singapore next. It has been good but a huge learning curve for me. I am surrounded by MUS people, so the emphasis of mastery over spiral is a pressure I face. I have gotten nervous at times when my son did not show quick recall of his addition/subtraction facts. It has taken me awhile to relax with the Singapore process. Having my 2nd child go through Singapore has made the spiral process much clearer. I have recently wimped out and let my oldest work for a couple of weeks on the MUS workbook to increase his memorization of facts. But honestly, I think extra math facts practice on the computer would suffice instead.

I just share our experience so that if you are in the middle of Singapore and find yourself wondering if you are in the right math program, just keep plugging through it with Carrie's guides and trust that they are learning tons. My son is still learning quick recall of his facts, but he knows WHAT he is doing when he sees a math problem, even if he has to count or draw figures to get his answer.

My son will be picking back up in Singapore very soon!
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14