Level of Grammr for 6th grader

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jenntracy

Level of Grammr for 6th grader

Post by jenntracy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:28 pm

My son is finishing 5th grade this year at a private school. They used the Shurley Method 6 for grammar this year. I am wondering if I should get Rod and Staff 6 or mybe 7 for this coming year of school. When we homeschooled earlier we used Rod and Staff level 2. I tried looking at samples of R&S level 6 and he may have covered some of that stuff already this year. I don't want it to be to hard but I also don't want him to struggle. He is perfectionist that needs to be challenged but not broken. Any thoughts?
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

abrightmom

Re: Level of Grammr for 6th grader

Post by abrightmom » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:35 pm

Honestly, I'd probably use English 5. 8) Rod & Staff is rigorous and the grammar concepts are covered each year at a deeper, more sophisticated level.Carrie recommends an English path that has the student COMPLETING Rod & Staff English 6 at the end of 8th grade and using English 7 (and 8 I believe ... ) in high school. She takes those later English texts and slows them down a bit in middle and high school, alternating them with a composition course. It lends a GREAT balance to the school week, allowing many important language arts areas to be covered without stepping into overkill. You could use English 5 at full speed for 6th grade and then follow the half speed schedule with English 6 over 7th and 8th which is EXCELLENT prep for high school. In using English 5 I think you'll find plenty of depth and the Rod & Staff texts include strong, traditional composition lessons which complement the guide's integrated language arts work.

:D :D :D
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:48 pm

Every year of R&S actually has a lot of review. So doing R&S 5 or 6 will probably be somewhat similar. Grammar isn't necessarily about introducing new and hard concepts every year. Grammar has turned into one of my favorite subjects because it is an easy review each year. You review the rules and that helps kids follow them every year better and better if that makes sense.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:57 pm

What guide are you using? I would go with the highest level suggested for that guide, which is probably 4 or 5. No reason to get through grammar too early, and doing half a book in the later years keeps things more balanced.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:02 pm

We will be using CTC with the extension package for older students. IT sounds like many of you are suggesting level 5 for next year. Then do level 6 half in 7th grade and half in 8th grade. if we had been using rod and staff all along i probably wouldn't have this decision to make. It is hard to compare shurley English to R &S and shurley english doesn't give me much preview on line. Does anyone else agree with the 5lvel for 6th grade and then do 6th level during 7th and 8th grade? What is the consensus? Thanks ladies!
Mom to 4 Blessings
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:16 pm

I have seen Carrie suggest level 5 often for families coming to HOD with some grammar background but not Rod and Staff/diagramming. So, I bet it would be a great spot to start.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:24 pm

We have used levels 2-7 now, and while the topics are generally the same each year, the depth is increased year to year. I would do 5 as scheduled in CTC, and just follow the guides from there on out. No need to burn a kid out 8)

mothermayi?

Post by mothermayi? » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:35 pm

I have used Shurley English (Grammar) and R&S, and both are rigorous. They are also very different IMO. If it were me, I don't like to fix what isn't broken...okay, well sometimes I do but that never ends well :D . I would stick with Shurley Grammar if your kid does well with it. I would slow it down and maybe take two days for some lessons. The lessons in Shurley are generally longer than R&S so if you stick with it, it will add a little time to your day.

If you want to switch to R&S, it teaches diagramming beginning in book 4. However, if your kid is doing well in Shurley 6, book 4 would probably be too easy even though there is diagramming. I would probably do book 5 full speed, since many of the concepts will definitely be review for him. R&S teaches differently than Shurley, and who knows, R&S might be a breath of fresh air for him since it usually takes only about 15 minutes or so and much is done orally.
~Began HOD Oct. 28, 2013
DS13 (7th) HOD RTR, MUS, DITHR 6/7/8
DS11 (5th) HOD CTC, Singapore & LOF, DITHR 4/5
DD6.5 (1st) MFW 1, Miquon Math, LOF
DD4.5 (PreK4) MFW K

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks ladies. I think i am leaning towards the 5th level for his 6th grade next year. Lessons being shorter would be a plus for him. He is a kid that once he gets something, he gets it, and then becomes bored if given too much "busywork"... another reason we are happy he is able to return to homeschool. I m going to discuss with him. I do know all my kids like the jingles with shurley grammar. Maybe i can find jingles online....
Mom to 4 Blessings
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:55 am

If it helps you any, my current 6th grader is finishing up R&S 4 this year. She's always been several grades ahead in grammar in our yearly testing. So doing level 5 in 6th grade would not be behind.

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks for the reassurance. That will be helpful when i tell my son he is in level 5 for 6th grade. :)
Mom to 4 Blessings
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

mothermayi?

Post by mothermayi? » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:22 pm

jenntracy wrote:Thanks for the reassurance. That will be helpful when i tell my son he is in level 5 for 6th grade. :)

And it will be even more of a joy when he hears 12th graders are using level 8! :D
~Began HOD Oct. 28, 2013
DS13 (7th) HOD RTR, MUS, DITHR 6/7/8
DS11 (5th) HOD CTC, Singapore & LOF, DITHR 4/5
DD6.5 (1st) MFW 1, Miquon Math, LOF
DD4.5 (PreK4) MFW K