CTC Unit 12 - Population of Bethlehem

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
daybreaking

CTC Unit 12 - Population of Bethlehem

Post by daybreaking » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:52 am

I happened to read a review of A Child's Geography that mentioned a discrepancy with the population of Bethlehem given on p. 60 of the text. (The caption on the picture gives a population of 60,000, but the text gives a population of 185,000 people.) I thought I'd check on-line, but I'm getting all different answers. For example, the United States Census Bureau gives a population of 75,000 and wikipedia gives a count of 25,000. Any suggestions on knowing what the actual population is?

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17

StephanieU

Re: CTC Unit 12 - Population of Bethlehem

Post by StephanieU » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Is this about when He rod ordered the dearth of all boys 2 and younger? We learned about it lay night in a class I take, and it was mentioned that counts varied because some are just the town and others the "metropolitan area."
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Post by Rice » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:31 pm

Even numbers for small rural communities can be like that. It depends on whether they count just those who live in homes within town limits or whether they are recording the "catchment area" or "service area" of the town.

Not sure of the Bethlehem numbers though - I hope Carrie or Julie chimes in on their perspective.
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks for answering. I'm actually looking for the current population, rather than in Herod's time. I wondered if the discrepancy in the text happened to be related to towns vs. municipal areas, similar to how where we live, we have villages encased in towns. Both have the same name, but the village population is much smaller than the town, as the town includes the village and surrounding areas. What is confusing, however, is that both numbers in the text are different than numbers given on the Internet.

ds21 & dd17

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:19 pm

I think the US census is for Bethlehem, PA. I think Bethlehem, Israel is between 25K and 30K currently.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:15 pm

StephanieU wrote:I think the US census is for Bethlehem, PA. I think Bethlehem, Israel is between 25K and 30K currently.
Oh, my, you are correct about the US one!! :oops:

It's strange that the numbers in A Child's Geography are so far off from the correct ones. I've noticed a few other errors and/or maps that don't match well with the text, so I'm wondering if it's just a matter of the book not being proofread/edited very carefully. (They needed Julie's proofreading skills! :D ) I like the book, overall, but I'm thinking I'll have to double check from now on, just to make sure I'm presenting the correct information.

ds21 & dd17

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:12 am

I live near Bethlehem, PA. I got a nice morning chuckle at your expense. Hehe :)
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:06 pm

daybreaking wrote:
StephanieU wrote:I think the US census is for Bethlehem, PA. I think Bethlehem, Israel is between 25K and 30K currently.
Oh, my, you are correct about the US one!! :oops:

It's strange that the numbers in A Child's Geography are so far off from the correct ones. I've noticed a few other errors and/or maps that don't match well with the text, so I'm wondering if it's just a matter of the book not being proofread/edited very carefully. (They needed Julie's proofreading skills! :D ) I like the book, overall, but I'm thinking I'll have to double check from now on, just to make sure I'm presenting the correct information.
You are more steadfast than me :-) I read that book last year didn't really find any errors LOL. There were a few dates of needed discussions but not necessarily "errors" if that makes sense. But my proofreading skills are....uhm.....terrible LOL.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:49 am

I agree that I didn't find anything wrong either :shock: However we were able to talk about metro areas vs actual town limits. We were able to compare sizes of places, etc. So I think it gave her an idea of how many people were there anyway, you know? I don't know if she was imagining a small little area with only a few people, but now she's not. Or if she was imagining the place where they had to go for tax reasons to be a huge city, but not she knows it's not.