HOD guides and CLEP question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sltress

HOD guides and CLEP question

Post by sltress » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:21 pm

In the last 4 guides (including the 2 that aren’t written yet) will there be any recommendations on which included courses/subjects would be “CLEP worthy” to earn college credits in high school? For example, after a student completes BJU Fundamentals of English in the WG guide, would that prepare the student to take the CLEP for literature? My son is in 7th and in Rev to Rev and I am planning on having him complete all the guides until he graduates but was hoping he could also earn some college credits early using the HOD chosen courses. Any advice will be appreciated.
Stacey

Motherjoy

Re: HOD guides and CLEP question

Post by Motherjoy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Link removed by board moderator per board rules.

This gives you a little more information about CLEP.

Many colleges don't accept CLEP test scores. You'll have to check with the college that your child is interested in.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:58 pm

My older boys did not use HOD, but they did use the BJU literature and were able to CLEP literature. Really, any good materials will prepare you for the CLEP. Just get a good prep book after studying the subject you wish to CLEP. We used one that had three prep tests. If your child does well on the prep tests, sign up at your local college to take the CLEP tests. My boys took several and passed them all. All three colleges my boys have attended accept them. It is a path my boys highly recommend. It saved them a LOT of money!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:58 am

I taught a class a few years ago at my co-op where the students were preparing all year for the biology clep test. Honestly, I agree with 8arrows. I think that most programs that teach solid material will prepare your kids well for the test. I also highly recommend the CLEP test. I know the major university near me that many people attend accepts up to 10 CLEP tests. We will be completely taking advantage of this!
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:22 am

My experience is that more colleges accept CLEP tests than don't. There are over eight colleges and universities in close proximity to where we live, and they all accept CLEP tests, from the community colleges, all the way up to the two prestigious universities.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

sltress

Post by sltress » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:32 am

OK great! I will just proceed with each guide as they come and choose some CLEP books and go from there. Thx all!
Stacey