Skip Early Reader's Bible?????

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gardenmama28

Skip Early Reader's Bible?????

Post by gardenmama28 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:54 pm

My daughter who is 7 is just finishing the Reading Made Easy book. When I told her that we were going to move on to reading books, she was excited. But when I told her that the first book would be the Early Reader's Bible she was dissapointed. Not because she dislikes the Bible, but because she has already read some of it on her own and she felt like the stories are too "kiddish" - to use her terms. We gave her a Bible for Christmas that is written at a grade 3 level (international Children's Bible) and she enjoys reading in that, although cannot read fluidly in it as it is above her level. So my question is, whether the comprehension questions build in difficulty through the emerging readers book set - would it be bad to skip the Bible story book and start in with Frog and Toad or Owl at Home, and finish up the emerging readers set with reading from her actual Bible.

She is a very spiritually sensitive girl, who loves God and loves his Word already. I don't want to alienate her from Bible reading by forcing her to read a Bible story book that is below her in "content" and not interesting to her, when she would rather read from her actual Bible. But her Bible is too advanced for her to read with ease. What do you all think.

StephanieU

Re: Skip Early Reader's Bible?????

Post by StephanieU » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:07 pm

How about getting the Beginners Bible and using that? I think it is slightly more mature. Also, I would let her know that you will be doing other books (the supplemental titles) along with it so it isn't just Bible reading. If you can't get all of the supplemental titles and you think she is ready for the books after the Bible, you could start those two, alternating. I think having kids read a Bible cover to cover is important, but it is okay to mix it up for sure!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

psreit

Post by psreit » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:16 am

I agree with Stephanie. The Beginner's Bible would be a good place to start. Carrie gave the choice for either Bible, and it sounds like the Beginner's Bible would be a good fit if she thinks the other is too 'kiddish'. The Bible book is long (takes 9 units to complete), so maybe you could alternate some days with the next book, Owl at Home. I don't think the Beginner's Bible is too kiddish for a 7yo. :)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:07 pm

It's exciting to read new books, and I think that is what inspires most kiddos to press on! :D As she's read some of the Early Reader's Bible, some of the shine is probably gone. Using The Beginner's Bible is an excellent idea! :D It will be fresh, and new, and special! Plus, it is the harder of the two choices. Even if the reading turns out to be somewhat easy, the comprehension questions should stretch her. They are written according to Bloom's Taxonomy, and they also facilitate beginning narration skills. :D On a side note, I've found it's important not to allow our kiddos to complain and skip. It becomes a tough habit to break, and important skills can be missed along the way. I think you'll love the ERS! The books are such fun and span the levels of 2 through 4. If the first books are easier, rest assured the later books won't be (especially the Christian Liberty Nature Reader). :D After that, DITHOR 2/3 awaits, and that is challenging aplenty. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

momofabcd

Post by momofabcd » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:13 pm

If your dd doesn't like the The Early Readers Bible, it's easy to just skip it and move straight to Owl at Home. My dd had already read that Bible and transitioned easily to Owl at Home, having no problems with the comprehension questions. You will just finish the Emerging Reader set early. We had no problem with that and were able to move on to the other book suggestions when we finished.
Deena
Mom of A Graduated 2017, B 12th, C 8th MTMM in 2018/2019, D 6th Res to Ref 2018/2019, E 3

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:36 pm

What about starting with Owl at Home and using one of the Bibles for bedtime reading- but her reading to you? My DS reads during school time and then usually, after a bath at night, we put our feet up on the wall and lay on the bed and he reads to me and then I read to him too. He enjoys it. We call it "quiet time" and escape from the little sister. So it is a special snuggly time for just us.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

gardenmama28

Post by gardenmama28 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:58 pm

Thanks everyone for your input - lots of good ideas and I appreciate it!!!

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:22 pm

I see many have replied and you know your child best. I second the thought of not skipping things. I would give her the other Bible. The Bible is very interesting and my kids loved it. As I have moved up in the guides there have been days my kids have bucked me on doing this that or the other. But my kids don't bother to buck much because they don't get to skip things. I do the guide as written so if something is written, I do it. Because of the consistency, I have seen my kids complain way less.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:43 pm

If she can read the first "book" in the Emerging Set...dive in!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)