Math placement advice needed for LHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mommyofmany

Math placement advice needed for LHFHG

Post by mommyofmany » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:17 am

My dd 5.5 (turning 6 at the end of June) is starting LHFHG. She has been a little slow to develop in writing- it is *very* tiring for her. We've done the CLE Kindergarten II books as I had thought initially about using LHFHG for 1st grade- but decided to get started now since we're done with our other workbooks. So, I purchased all the K options for the guide (thinking she could still use extra time to develop writing skills & other fine motor skills), but now am questioning if the math is appropriate for her after looking through it. Do you think it would be better to purchase the 1st grade option for math & use the rest of the K options? Do I need the Beyond guide for math lessons if I do that or just use the textbooks & workbooks for 1A & 1B? Or, is it better to have her just doing easier math & not be challenged in that area? Thanks for your help!
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Matthew 14 (Down syndrome & Autism)
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

StephanieU

Re: Math placement advice needed for LHFHG

Post by StephanieU » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:23 am

Have you looked at the B kindergarten book? I know many families find the A book very simple but the B book just right. Then you could move on to 1A for the second half of the year.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:59 am

Yes- I think B looks like where we left off in our other workbooks. I may have her just go ahead and do A as well in effort of keeping the same pace as what is in the guide. All the coloring and matching is good for strengthening her hands!
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:23 pm

To answer your other question - when you do get to Singapore 1A, you will want to get the Beyond guide. The Beyond guide has additional hands on activities for the kids for level 1A and 1B student workbook. Then you will want to get the Bigger guide for when you get to Singapore 2A & 2B, it also has additional hands on activities. Once you get to 3A though, there are no more hands on activities provided in future guides.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:23 pm

You don't NEED the Beyond guide - the 1A & 1B schedule is in the back of the LHFHG guide. That is what we are using this year. We haven't had the extra hands-on that is included in Beyond, but my DS doesn't seem to be needing them (he's finding it easy at this point, and is catching the concepts easily). A different kid may find them to be very helpful, though. That said, I am planning to use the Bigger guide for 2A and B to do the hands-on things when we move to Beyond next year.

HTH!
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks Daneale and Rice! We started this morning with A and she loved it! No complaints about it being to easy or anything. She did finish quickly and wanted to do more but I said we'd have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks for answering the questions about the 1A & 1B schedules! It seemed like a lot of the left side reading was going in one ear and out the other. I'm going to give some more thought to doing the right side full speed while stretching out the left side by doing that 2-3 days per week. I had posted a while back about trying to figure out how to get my little girls that are 1yr10mo apart into the same guide eventually anyway. That would give my younger dd time to catch up I think. Always so many options with HOD! :wink:
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7