WH...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
annaz

WH...

Post by annaz » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:06 am

Who is using this for this year? Care to share how it's going?
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

8arrows

Re: WH...

Post by 8arrows » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:21 pm

My daughter is using it. She is able to do the science and health pretty independently, but she enjoys sharing with me. We loved Pearl Maiden and Shadow of the King. The books are her favorite part, and the notebook has a nice amount of writing. Her narrations have picked up nicely. Unveiling the Kings and King Alfred's English have been our favorite history books. Ben Hur was a little slow at the beginning, but it definitely took an upswing. She has made a lot of Biblical connections throughout the year. She enjoys the art history, but we are not doing the projects as she has taken private lessons for several years. The HOD lesson plans are easy to follow, and she is able to work independently. I wish I could keep up with her a little better, but I am reading a good percentage of the books. We are only on week 16 as we have had a lot on our plate this year. My mom moved in with us at Thanksgiving and my Dad is still at the house, so we have several responsibilities that we did not have last year. I set a time limit of six hours a day, and that is what is working for us. We did drop the Pilgrim's Progress, but she has read it before, and we may do it with several of the children down the road. Do you have any specific questions? I would definitely recommend it! Oh, and my husband, who is currently reading Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People, was very impressed with my knowledge of Gregory the Great, Augustine of Canterbury verses Augustine of Hippo, etc. He mentioned it twice! So, we must be learning!!!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi Annaz! I am using WH this year! I am trying to share about our year each week in the Weekly Check-In, so here are some links that give a glimpse into our year...
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16026
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16003
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15925
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15924
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15879
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15855

There are more from the earlier units as well, but I think these will give a good feel for the guide and for our year! HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:30 pm

My oldest is doing WH this year. He's enjoying it. He especially loves the literature selections, which I was pleasantly surprised about. He LOVED Scarlet Pimpernell. Couldn't stop talking about it. :)

He's enjoying all of his subjects, really. I'm very happy with everything, so far. We aren't doing health, and for art we just purchased the one dvd, not the whole package. We needed to streamline, and this is how we did it. He does picture study and composer study with the rest of the kiddos. I'll count all of that toward a fine arts credit down the road.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

annaz

Post by annaz » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks!
And thanks Julie for the direct links!
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:13 pm

annaz wrote:Thanks!
And thanks Julie for the direct links!
Glad to be of any help! :D :D :D It's good to see you here, annaz. :) Have I ever told you I love your signature? I do. It just makes me smile and long to ask how the cat and dog are. :) Especially since we have cats and dogs too. If you have other questions about WH, I will try to answer and help! :) I can tell you this, my dh and I never thought we'd be homeschooling through high school when we started this journey. I could have turned gray (and who knows I may have, as under this perpetual highlight of mine, only the beautician knows for sure :lol: ) for the amount of angst thinking ahead to high school and what we would do caused me. And here we are, nearing the end of Wyatt's 10th grade year, unable to fathom doing it any other way. It's not as stressful and hard as it seems. Actually, it's pretty great. I feel like I'm hanging on to my Wyatt instead of losing him, and we both are kind of feeling time move too fast each year he gets older - probably more me than him though. :wink: WG and WH have been a blessing to us.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie