How do you decide?!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Cristi

How do you decide?!

Post by Cristi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm looking at the read aloud book packs for Beyond and I want us to read them all! How do you narrow down which ones to get? Is it possible to read more than one book from each genre in the scheduled amount of days? I don't want to buy books we won't have time to read but I don't want us to miss all these amazing books either!!

Nealewill

Re: How do you decide?!

Post by Nealewill » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:14 pm

I read to my kids every night before bedtime. That is seven days a week. We have read several of the HOD recommended books at night to our kids even if we weren't using them to study with the genre. I would pick and choose the books you like only if you have time to read them outside of school time. Some of the books in the read a loud section are short but I would find it stressful to read more than one per genre and to cover that book well.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:41 pm

We get all the book packs and I pick and choose which ones to read for HOD Storytime. Then the others get read for evening storytime, or the kids read them in their free time.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:04 am

I bought the classic set and then I may change out a few using our library. I will go through storytime in Beyond and Bigger at least twice if not three times, but I only plan on buying one set. That way I know I have a book on hand, but if there is one I think my child would like better that our library has, I can use that instead.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:35 am

I picked from each pack to pick some DS would like and some DD would like, the first time I went through. I chose different ones the second time through.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG