Emerging Readers vs DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Cristi

Emerging Readers vs DITHOR

Post by Cristi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:40 pm

I have an almost 7 year old who is a very strong reader. She has read Viking Adventure independently before and understood it. She has read an Amelia Bedelia book and can pretty much read anything you give her. But I'm struggling with whether I should have her use the emerging readers set or DITHOR level 2 book pack in the fall when we start Beyond. I want her to be challenged but not so challenged that shes bored. I know for sure that the Beginners Bible would bore her. We have that and she doesn't like to read it because its "too easy" (her words). She likes good story lines and interesting characters. But shes very picky about books. She loves read alouds and she likes to read to me at bedtime sometimes but she goes through phases where she doesn't want to read independently at all. I haven't pushed that part this year and just let her read when she wants to. But I don't want to kill her love for reading by giving her books that she can't read smoothly and understand easily. There are several in the Emerging Readers set that I think she would love and same with DITHOR. But I see a few in DITHOR that look fairly difficult. I don't want to underestimate my daughters abilities but I also don't want to make it not fun for her either. Hopefully this doesn't sound like crazy mom talk. :lol: Any suggestions or moms who have had this same dilemma?

StephanieU

Re: Emerging Readers vs DITHOR

Post by StephanieU » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:00 pm

I personally would do the ER books even if they are easy. You can let her double up on readings in the beginning, or you can skip a few books. By the middle, the reading level really picks up. You will notice the original Amelia Bedelia is in the middle of the ER books. I love that the books Carrie picked are either ones I would consider classics or are historical fiction/non fiction. Even if the Bible is easy, maybe mention that it is good to read through a Bible, cover to cover. Then, once you complete the ER books, you can have her read the Level 2 DITHOR books. I don't think starting the DITHOR workbooks is necessary until at least 3rd grade if not 4th grade. We probably won't start the workbook until half way through Bigger if not Preparing.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Cristi

Post by Cristi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:04 pm

Yes, I wasn't going to do the actual DITHOR guide, I was just going to use the book pack to have her read through. I definitely think shes too young to work through the guide but wanted her to start having some scheduled reading time each day starting this fall.

psreit

Post by psreit » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:53 pm

I was told recently about Carrie's book list. I'm not sure what all it includes, but it sounds like she has additional titles for DITHOR or extra reading. I hope that is an accurate description. I have not seen that. I would recommend going through the ER books that you feel are at the level of reading your daughter would be. There are also supplemental titles in the back with the ER questions. Then, if you want to read some of the DITHOR books, you could find different books to read when you actually start DITHOR. But, I wouldn't push it, unless she flies through the ER books.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:38 pm

Since it sounds like you aren't going to be using HOD till next year, I would probably lean on doing the Level 2 book pack at that time. My youngest just turned 7 a few weeks ago and she is a READER! She reads anything I put in front of her! And some of the level 2 books are a little bit challenging. Some will be right at your child's level. I think the key to having DITHOR be successful for a younger child is that kids has to like to read and want to keep reading. My dd does like to read. I constantly get books from the library, including picture books (books with pictures but harder words on the pages), early readers, chapter books, any books LOL. She reads at very high level for her age. Most books she reads now are listed that they are for children 7-12. For her, if she is interested in the book, she will read it no matter what. And she likes to read so much that she usually has a few books going at one time. For example, right now she is reading The Hundred Dresses (listed in the $5 book list in DITHOR), Abraham Lincoln (by Ingri & Edgar Parin d'Audlaire - same author as Pocahontas from the level 3 book pack), and I am Helen Keller (grade 3-7 reading level). She is a reader.

I did actually try to get my youngest dd to read most of the ERs earlier this year and she would read them in a day. If your dd is a really good reader and is well past the level of those books, I personally wouldn't buy them or all of them. The books Sarah Noble and Bear on Hemlock Mountain were some that she really enjoyed. My son loved the book Tornado and has read it multiple times. She also enjoyed the Animal Tales books. Most of these books are available at the library and if you wanted to see what your dd thinks, you could always have your child read them now. You could also pick and choose what you want to get as well. My dd did enjoy many of the ER titles but I never really followed the schedule listed in the back of the manual - for one my dd did at times revolt about a title or two but the second reason is that if she liked the book, she would finish it quickly and beg to keep reading. The Beyond manual also does have an alternate book reading schedule. If you child isn't quite ready for DITHOR, then you could have your child read the alternate selections as well. My dd has read most of those as well.

As for my youngest dd completing DITHOR, we are planning to start that in about a month. I am waiting for my oldest to finish her genre that she working on and then all 3 of my kids will do DITHOR together. I am pretty excited!!!!
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:40 pm

I got the book list this week (with my DITHOR package). And I think it is amazing! I am going to use it for ideas for my daughter between DITHOR books. It has reading levels from 1st grade up. My daughter can read high level books, but she also likes easy ones that are good quality. So, I am going to go with the 1st-2nd grade options from the list first and then move on.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

psreit

Post by psreit » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:26 pm

I think I need to get one of those book lists! :) Angie and I were at the library yesterday just browsing for books. I am overwhelmed trying to find random books among so many, especially when many of them are not books we would even choose to read. Carrie has such good book choices. :D
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:09 pm

Pam - that is the EXACT reason I got the list! I also feel overwhelmed when I go to the library to look for books. And it is frustrating when you go and pick out books and they have stuff you don't want your kids reading or it is just a boring book. For me, the book list is fantastic because it saves me a lot of time. I will say that it is 50/50 whether or not I can get the books from the library. I hope it is okay to post this but many of them that aren't available at the library and that aren't sold by HOD, I just buy them from amazon in their used books section. I can get most for a few bucks and then just pay the $3.99 shipping per book. It works out great. For example, I was struggling with finding a fantasy book for my oldest for the next genre. I ended using the book list, gave her a few options and she picked Tuck Everlasting - one of the recommended books in the list. That one was available from the library but because I am using it for DITHOR, I ended up buying it for $0.01 on amazon with $3.99 shipping (I like buying them vs borrowing because sometimes I circle words and write in school books).
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

psreit

Post by psreit » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:37 pm

Daneale,
I just ordered our historical fiction book (Understood Betsy) from HOD, because it was already checked out at the library and not due back until March 6th. We start it next week! So, I couldn't wait for it. I don't buy a lot of books since Angie is my only one homeschooling anymore. :cry: I did add the book list to my order :) along with one other book I needed to complete my Bigger science pack. (I had planned to get that from the library, but I'm not taking a chance) So, I'm set until the middle of next school year! :D Oh, I forgot! I'll have to get DITHOR in the fall! Looking forward to seeing what's on that book list! :wink:
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

Cristi

Post by Cristi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:55 am

Thank you so much for mentioning the book lost!!! I didn't realize it had books for younger kids!! I'm absolutely getting that when I purchase my other stuff.