How to Pick Curriculum???

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Prismaticpril

How to Pick Curriculum???

Post by Prismaticpril » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Hi, I am trying to figure out what curriculum I would purchase for next year if I were to use Heart of Dekota. I have a 9 year old who is very advanced in her reading skills. Next year she would be a 4th grader but reads closer to a 7th grade level right now :D . I also have a 7 year old who is not yet reading much at all. :cry: She will technically be considered a 2nd grader but her reading and writing are currently more at a kindergartner's level. And I also have a 4 year old who I will be actually starting Kindergarten with next year. I would love to do as many things with them all together that I can but I don't want my oldest to feel bored or not challenged :roll: and yet I can't have my middle one feel pressure or that she is falling behind :oops: . Any suggestions?? Thank you in advance!!

StephanieU

Re: How to Pick Curriculum???

Post by StephanieU » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:44 pm

I recommend reading the posts linked below to help you see how HOD works. Basically, in your case, you would need 2-3 guides, as your kids would be too far apart to combine. The post explains why that is the case and why it isn't a bad thing at all.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9344
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:19 pm

It sounds like you may be able to combine the younger two in Little Hearts for His Glory- using the 1st grade options for the 7yo and the Kindergarten options for the 4yo if he/she is ready for them.

Really look at the writing requirements on the placement chart to see if your 4th grade daughter would place better in Preparing or CTC. A lot of kids are very advanced in reading but not as strong in writing. She could be frustrated in CTC if she is stretched by the amount of writing and independent work. HTH!!
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Matthew 14 (Down syndrome & Autism)
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:58 pm

Welcome to HOD!

It sounds like in your case, combining your older children would not be in their best interest since they are far apart skill wise. If you feel like you really want to combine at least a few of the children, you may be able to combine the younger ones.

The way you place children properly is based on their skill levels which you can find on the placement chart here: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php. Once you figure out where they place skill wise, moms can help you decide who and how to combine your children best.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH