We Love Poetry!!!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lissiejo

We Love Poetry!!!!

Post by lissiejo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:52 pm

My girls absolutely love poetry because of HOD! They asked me to read a book of A. A. Milne Poems one night before bed instead of the usual story and I totally give credit to HOD helping them understand and appreciate poetry from the very beginning. My oldest daughter, 9, has written several poems and been accepted for publication in nation wide contests.

This is a video of Beth (7) reading her poem for the week. She was so excited and really loved it!

(I don't think the video was working before. Sorry!)

https://scontent-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hvide ... e=54E4AA9A
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: We Love Poetry!!!!

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:17 pm

Melissa,

We love poetry here too! Who knew this was possible with 4 boys? :lol: Of course, the enjoyment level varies from kiddo to kiddo, yet the guide has turned my boys into poetry savorers and deeper thinkers. :D It's amazing to me what they can get out of reading poetry!

I'm so glad to hear that your daughter is enjoying it too! What a blessing that she's writing poetry as well and excelling at it! Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm. It blessed my heart today! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:39 pm

My kids just started CTC which uses Robert Frost. I ADORE Frost's poetry, but my kids...not so much. With Robert Louis Stevenson, everything was very metered. I am encouraging them to read through to the punctuation in Frost to get the "meaning". So far, they miss Stevenson!! :)
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:52 pm

Our sons love poetry too! I can also see poetic elements sneaking into their writing. How exciting your daughters asked you to read poetry in the evenings, and also how wonderful your dd's poetry is getting recognized! :D The boys love to experiment with rhythm and rhyme, even just joking around helping me with dishes in the kitchen. One of my favorite movies is "The Notebook," and Noah (the main character) often reads poetry at night on the porch steps first with his father, and then for his future wife (Allie). I think it's becoming a lost art! It is nice to see poetry making a comeback. :D Thanks for sharing about your dc's love of poetry thanks to HOD! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:27 pm

We received the book with my daughter's poem published in it. It's really a neat company. They don't accept all submissions which I appreciate because although my daughter has submitted poems that didn't get published it was a good learning experience for her. This is a poem she wrote for a personification activity in Preparing last year.

Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:26 pm

That is amazing!

My kids never really used to embrace poetry until we started HOD. They love it now. And their vocabulary both in speech and understanding has increased significantly due to this study alone. I am guessing your dd is thoroughly enjoying the poetry in CTC then :-) My dd loves it!!! She loves the paintings she does with it too :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:24 pm

Congratulations to your dd! I could feel the wind as I read her poem. A poet in the making! I'm so glad you made sure to do poetry each day in HOD - the results are the proof in the pudding! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jjn3beans

Post by jjn3beans » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Very good poem, Emmalyn! Tell her we said so! :)
Julie
DD15, DD13 (MtMM + some WG)
DD11 (Preparing)