WG English Credit?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momtofive

WG English Credit?

Post by momtofive » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:25 pm

I have a question regarding the English credit for the World Geography guide. I notice that the BJU literature is intended to be a 1/2 credit course, and the R&S grammar, and EIW composition would also be another 1/2 credit. All of these would combine to make the 1 credit for English, within the WG guide. So my question is in regard to the extra novels added to the literature study. Wouldn't that make the literature more than 1/2 credit?

Just trying to get this straight. . . . ;)

Thank you! :)
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: WG English Credit?

Post by Carrie » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:25 pm

Lisa,

This is a good question. Honestly, as far as the high school English credit goes, there are no hard fast rules as to what constitutes a credit. Since the areas of literature, composition, and grammar are typically combined to earn the credit, virtually endless combinations are possible. :D

While it is true that the BJU lit. is 1/2 credit, and the combination of Essentials in Writing and Rod and Staff would equal another 1/2 credit, it is also true that most literature courses utilize at least one or more full-length novels as part of their literature credit. To this end, we have added novels to the BJU literature to both make a stronger credit and to bring a more CM style of literature study into the credit. :D

Since we are not formally studying those particular novels, but are instead employing the techniques of oral narration, written narration, Common Place Book Entries, etc. with them, in my opinion, the novels function to round out the credit without really pushing it into an honor's level course. Your opinion may vary, and as the parent you could designate it as honor's level on the transcript if desired.

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
Carrie

momtofive

Re: WG English Credit?

Post by momtofive » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:52 pm

That does help! ;) Thank you, Carrie! :D

I want to be sure that I'm recording his credits properly, as we've had to drop one of the novels due to time constraints. I'm glad to see that this won't affect his literature credit in a negative way. I appreciate your helpful response! :)

Blessings,
Lisa
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!