Home Economics in High School?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mamanlait

Home Economics in High School?

Post by mamanlait » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:17 pm

I have tried to search this on the Boards but maybe someone remembers if HOD has plans to include Home Ec. as an elective during High School. I'd like to add it but would prefer to wait if it will be scheduled.

Thanks!
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

momxnine

Re: Home Economics in High School?

Post by momxnine » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:28 am

There's nothing in WG or WH. I don't know if there will be anything in the last two years or not. I would just add it in anyway, the sooner the better. :D
Vicki in SW. MO.
Mom of 9 (ages 14 - 35) and Grammy to 7
14 ds - Finished CTC, RTR and Rev To Rev; MTMM - Fall of 2016

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:23 pm

Right now there isn't a plan in place to include a specific Home Economics course in the high school line-up. However, I will say that we are strongly considering adding Beyond Beautiful Girlhood with its study guide from Pumpkin Seed Press to the next American History Guide (and that particular volume is very home economics focused). So, while we will likely incorporate that offering for girls into our Bible credit, it would be easy to extend into a Home Economics semester credit if desired since there is much there! :D Either way, if we do include this title, girls will gain a healthy dose of Bible-focused home economics experience.

I will also share that the kiddos do learn quite a bit about baking, organizing, keeping things going, and following directions simply through doing the HOD Guide projects each year. As a spin-off from the guides, my own boys have also become pretty adept at following a recipe and are able to do a pretty good job of making meals. So, there are hidden benefits in the HOD projects that we've consistently noticed at our house through the years! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

momxnine

Post by momxnine » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:00 pm

I didn't know that book existed! We had the first one years ago when my girls were young. I like the looks of the new one. :) But anyway, my girls are grown now and it's just the boys left. Since they wouldn't appreciate that one, I'm wondering what *might* be in the works for the boys since they're not going to be "homemakers." Are you planning a personal finance course anywhere? I know our state requires 1/2 credit in that & that would definitely be a big one for the boys. There should be a boys home ec course.... maybe I should write one. In my spare time, of course. ;)
Vicki in SW. MO.
Mom of 9 (ages 14 - 35) and Grammy to 7
14 ds - Finished CTC, RTR and Rev To Rev; MTMM - Fall of 2016

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:19 pm

Vicki,

If we go the route of including Beyond Beautiful Girlhood, we would also include a boy option more suitable for training young men instead. :D

We are planning at this juncture to include finance as a semester option in the last high school guide, along with a semester in economics. Families could choose whether or not to do the finance route. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:48 pm

Thank you for your response! I have thoroughly appreciated the inclusion of recipes in the HOD guides over the years!! I'm not sure my oldest daughter would have ever learned to cook had she not had those activities scheduled into her day! :D There are some kids that just pick up Home Ec skills intuitively by watching their parents and others who need prodding or guiding. I've got one of each and I do believe it would be worthwhile to have a specific plan in place. Beautiful Girlhood was a lovely and beautiful book that I still treasure. It was one of those big stepping stones so important to Christian growth in both my oldest and ME! My copy of the book is marked, dog eared, and highlighted! I am certain that Stepping Heavenward will have that same effect! I remember reading it for the first time 6 years ago and I know the profound effect it had on me!

Again, thank you for answering my question. I will add the elective next year and consider it a bonus if you include it in a future guide.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:08 am

My daughter wanted home economics right now so we are including it in her 9th grade year. She loves to cook paleo style so it's been fun to see her in that area. She has made some pretty good marshmallows and other goodies :wink: .

She also helps me with babysitting. Personally with all the home economics stuff she does at home I don't think she needs an actual course but I don't want to miss anything.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

dianeh47

Post by dianeh47 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:02 pm

Carrie,
Do you know what the boy option is yet. We are loving WH and cannot wait until the next guide is out.
Will it be ready for the convention in Arlington?
Blessings,
Diane

Began HOD in 8/2008
Joel -18 US2 History