Preparing and Beyond Begin Tomorrow -- any tips?!?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
aecastleberry

Preparing and Beyond Begin Tomorrow -- any tips?!?

Post by aecastleberry » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:33 pm

We will begin our HOD switch tomorrow, Feb 2nd. I am still a little shocked at myself by my decision to switch mid-year, but truly feel that this is the best decision for us.

I actually did Beyond with my dd when she was 5 b/c every other Kindergarten curriculum was too easy for her (she started reading AND writing in cursive at age 3). I feel pretty confident with starting Beyond and Preparing together tomorrow, and to be honest my ds is chomping at the bit to get back to school so I couldn't start dd and not start Beyond with my ds b/c he wouldn't let me!

Since we are switching from MFW Creation to the Greeks, I feel as though the first 6-7 units of Preparing will be a bit of a history review for my dd. I am expecting that to work in our favor as she gets a feel for how HOD works and all of the changes in her workload. Does this sound like a reasonable expectation???

I have made my kiddos individual schedules so they can see when they are working on their own and when they have my 1:1 attention. Already giving myself (and my kiddos!) grace for the upcoming week as we get into our new groove...but does anyone have any tips to offer for a smooth transition? So far my ds is a complete "go with the flow" kinda fella regarding school, so since Mama decided to change curriculum he's good with it. My dd on the other hand is a bit more apprehensive as to how things are going to work. She's a smart girl and I know she will catch on fast, but I am praying that we don't have a battle as we transition. Ready or not, right?!?
It's hard to be discontent when you count your blessings.
Amber - Amazed by Grace, Wife to Scott, Mama to 3, Teacher, Photographer, Writer
daughter, 15 WH
son, 13 Boys Adventure Co-OP, CTC
son, 9 Preparing

psreit

Re: Preparing and Beyond Begin Tomorrow -- any tips?!?

Post by psreit » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:15 pm

Since your daughter's age is on the lower end of Preparing, you could start out half speed for a while, until she adjusts or if you feel it's a lot for one day. Let her do it at a speed that she can really absorb it. Preparing is an excellent guide. We did a little bit of it over a year ago, then stopped because of my daughter's struggles. When we came back to HOD in November, I put my dd back into Bigger, which is where she fit well. Bigger is good too, but I do look forward to getting into Preparing again. The choice of books is really good. So, take your time and enjoy it.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:13 pm

When I first started with Preparing, I held my dd's hand a lot with the "I" boxes. I made sure to have her read the directions out loud to me and then go over with her what she needed to do. I wanted to make sure she fully understood the directions. By week 6 or so, we were moving full speed with no problem. I find with every level of HOD, I usually take the first 4 units or so a little slower. It helps me and the kids so that we can all get into a good rhythm.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

mommybelle

Post by mommybelle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Offering grace for yourself and your kiddos is HUGE, so I think you are already on the right track with your thinking!

Though we haven't ventured past Beyond, I have seen that it usually takes us about a month to get in a really good routine. Our school days have gone better since I have tried to let go of my schooling expectations, especially when those toddlers love to make noise and get into mischief right in the middle of those lessons! If you feel frustrations mounting, it is alright to call it a day and pick up on those missing boxes tomorrow (or even later in the day).

And as someone mentioned on one of your other posts, just look at the guides as if your kiddos are already a 1/2 year ahead since dd is on the younger age range of the guide anyway. So if at first they aren't able to complete those lessons in one day without heavy frustration, then pick up where you left off tomorrow. Of course, a little frustration isn't always a bad thing!

I am praying for a smooth start! I hope you love HOD as much as we do! :D
DD1 (11): PHFHG
DD2 (8): BLHFHG

DS1 (4): LHTH
http://mommybelle.blogspot.com/