WH guide - Science test question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Motherjoy

WH guide - Science test question

Post by Motherjoy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Are the science tests supposed to be open book or closed?
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Motherjoy

Re: WH guide - Science test question

Post by Motherjoy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:51 am

bump. :)

Maybe its an individual decision? He's been doing open book, but I think we are going to transition to regular tests so that he will have the studying practice for college. I would still like to hear Carrie's input, though.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:50 am

Motherjoy,

The "Self Test" within each Biology Activity Pak of the World History guide is scheduled to be open-book. We actually omit the "PACE Test" for each pace, however if desired you could add that (after the "Self Test") to be a closed-book test if desired. The "PACE Test" comes within your PACE, so you do have it already. The reason that we choose to do the "Self Test" open-book is that it is a good review of the PACE vocabulary, it provides a reason for students to refer back to what they've read, and it encourages students to utilize their new Biology vocabulary from the PACE. On the other hand, we omit the "PACE Test" for a couple of reasons. :D

First, at the 10th grade level, we are looking for more of an overview of Biology, albeit from a vocabulary-rich perspective. This means that students are being exposed to a vast spectrum of new material, including a huge quantity of new words. If students were required to take the "PACE Test," the Biology course would quickly shift from grappling with new content to memorization and mastery of new vocabulary. I liken this experience to the majors Biology courses I had to take in college. Since I started out as a nursing major prior to changing my degree to education, and the general biology courses were full, I had to take majors Biology as a freshman instead. While these courses were for sophomores on up majoring in Biology, and the pre-med students, I quickly discovered that to stay afloat in the course, pass, and get a good grade, I just needed to be able to memorize endless lists of vocabulary words (and be able to be able to use them to make educated guesses). I also needed to be able to label diagrams with words that meant very little to me, yet doing so allowed me to get a through the course with my grade intact. In that whole year of Biology, I did not, however gain a better understanding of Biology. I did learn how to memorize terms and pass tests. :wink:

So, when we are looking at our goals for our students in Biology, taking into account that students are only in the 10th grade, it makes sense to put the emphasis on understanding rather than on memorization. If students have an affinity in the area of Biology, it would make more sense to work on memorization of terms later in high school, when/if students take advanced Biology, closer to their college coursework. At that point, memorization of terms may be helpful in preparation for college coursework. At this early juncture though, our goals are different. :D

While you may easily assign the additional "PACE Test" to be completed closed-book, I would make sure that the "Self Test" is still completed as a review open-book style. Yet, before being quick to add the "PACE Test" to an already full high-school science schedule, I would ponder what your goals are in light of what I've shared above.

Blessings,
Carrie

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:34 pm

Carrie,

Thank you so much! I went through and was recording grades for the semester. He's doing so well in biology, when I have a friend whose son is very smart who was doing poorly. I couldn't understand why, and was wondering if I was making it too easy. I sat with him and talked as I was grading, and he absolutely is grasping concepts and remember vocabulary words. I also realized that I really didn't care if he remembers the four classes of snakes (or whatever) for the rest of his life. I just want to expose him to it and help him enjoy learning.

So, thank you for explaining! BTW, We are loving the WH guide. Anytime we watch something historical on tv or even talk in church, he is always bringing a random connection that he's learned somewhere through HOD. :)
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:33 pm

Motherjoy,

I am so glad that you popped back to share an update on your science thoughts! I'm also thrilled that your son is enjoying the World History Guide. :D We are liking it at our house this year too! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:44 am

I wish there was a "like" button for the explanation you have given for WH Science. Thank you for talking us through this!!
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)