Anyone cut the binding off the guide and 3 hole punch it?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
bookworm

Anyone cut the binding off the guide and 3 hole punch it?

Post by bookworm » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:41 am

I'm thinking of doing this so it lays flat but also so I can put additional notes, activities, etc. with the coordinating guide pages.

Anyone done this? How much was it?

Thanks

bookworm

Post by bookworm » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:30 am

Oh my, and I usually use the search function :roll:
Will be sure to do that before I post a question next time :wink:

I wonder if this issue should be listed in the "commonly asked questions" section....

moedertje

cut binding

Post by moedertje » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:03 pm

Hello,

I am trying different things with it as well.

My LHTH, I cut the binding and had them ringbind it and it was about $5.00

I have cut off the binding on my LHFHG and put all the pages in a plastic sleeve and than in a 3-ring binder. This is more expensive, but now I don't have to worry about getting paint spots or anything on my papers.
You can 200 clear sheet protectors at Sam's for a about $6.50 and cutting the book was $2.00.

Either way it lays flat and is easier to use.

I have already cut my BLHFHG, but have not yet decided whether I will ring bind it or plastic sleeve it. It gets a bit heavy. I may put it in 2 binders.

Hope this helps you.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:48 pm

Either way it lays flat and is easier to use.
The guides have a lay flat binding on them. So just push down on the open pages and it will lay flat without ruining the book.

Though I can see with LHTH why you might want to 3 ring bind it since you copy many of the pages.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:02 pm

I bought a used copy of DITHR that someone had cut the spine and put a spiral binding on it. I really would prefer the original binding to the spiral, but I really dont like spiral, so maybe I"m biased.

bookworm

Post by bookworm » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 pm

I'm still not sure what to do after reading all the other threads.

Now that I look at the actual thickness of Bigger I think that after adding extra pages of my own things a binder might just get too big and cumbersome.

Maybe leaving the book as is but tabbing it somehow and then having a binder with coordinating tabs for the extra pages, etc for that same section might be easier and less cumbersome.

Off to think on this some more.

I like to THINK I'm this ultra organized person but really, I'm not :wink:

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:10 pm

OOOH! If all you want to do is "organize" the book than I have an easy (and cheap) solution!!

On my bigger and Beyond books, I put these on each of the sections I needed quick access to... biography, poetry, etc.... And they're removable without any damage to the book, so I can take them out and sell the book if needed.

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/ ... G25:DP2225

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:54 pm

joyfulheart wrote:OOOH! If all you want to do is "organize" the book than I have an easy (and cheap) solution!!

On my bigger and Beyond books, I put these on each of the sections I needed quick access to... biography, poetry, etc.... And they're removable without any damage to the book, so I can take them out and sell the book if needed.

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/ ... G25:DP2225
AWESOME, much better than the plain old PostIt notes I use. I wonder if Walmart sells these?

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:57 pm

bookworm wrote:Oh my, and I usually use the search function :roll:
Will be sure to do that before I post a question next time :wink:

I wonder if this issue should be listed in the "commonly asked questions" section....
Don't worry about it. We all need a little help from our friends once in a while....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:12 pm

yes, and walmart is even cheaper I think.

Walmart also has the best giant paper clips that are 4 or 5 inches long. I LOVE those things! One package with a bunch in it is 99 cents, and These are great for marking where we are in books, workbooks, teacher manuals... I'm addicted to those things. LOL

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:49 pm

I love the paper clip idea. That's so much better than the bookmarks we use that always seem to disappear.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:25 pm

joyfulheart wrote:yes, and walmart is even cheaper I think.

Walmart also has the best giant paper clips that are 4 or 5 inches long. I LOVE those things! One package with a bunch in it is 99 cents, and These are great for marking where we are in books, workbooks, teacher manuals... I'm addicted to those things. LOL
Do the giant paperclips leave marks on the pages the way the little ones do?

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:41 pm

I love this topic no matter how many times it's covered. I am thinking of cutting the binding on my "Little Hands" because of all the copies I'm making. I use the tabs joyfulheart linked you to and LOVE them!

My favorite part is that they are RE-STICKABLE! I just keep moving them as we progress! Happy Organizing :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

bookworm

Post by bookworm » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:16 pm

oooo...thanks for the picture! That's very helpful to see just how that would work. A visual aid is always good ;)
Thanks!