Need Help Please

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
faiths13

Need Help Please

Post by faiths13 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi
I used HOD last school year - I did LHFHG for my 6 year old and Rev2Rev for my 12 year old. We enjoyed it, but I decided to do something else this year. I like what we are doing, but it is just not the same as HOD. I really think my now almost 14 yr old would enjoy HOD and get much more out of it. I tried to do LHTH for my then 4 year old, but he would have nothing to do with it.
So my question is, we have been following the traditional school schedule. My almost 14 yr old would go into high school this fall. I want to switch to HOD now. Should I just start him on the high school guide now? Or do MTMM instead?
Also, I really want to combine my two youngest. I know it is not recommended usually, but I really need to make things as easy as possible. Also, it's really nice for them to do Bible, history and science together. My 7 year old is ready for BLHFHG, but it is a little high for my 5 year old, I'm sure. He is learning letter sounds, and writing them, and is great at math. He also loves to listen to stories and loves workbooks.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

faiths13

Re: Need Help Please

Post by faiths13 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:08 pm

I guess I should add we are now doing a unit study curriculum where the kids are learning the same things basically. They are do Bible time together, then the two youngest do science and history together. So my 5 year old is just sitting in and getting things here and there.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:02 pm

If you were to look at the placement chart (http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php), where would your oldest place? Since he completed Rev2Rev, you are looking at MtMM and WG, assuming he was able to Rev2Rev as written.
If he places into MtMM more than WG, I would probably start now with MtMM. That would give you a semester at the end to catch up on any credits you may need and not have to modify guides. Electives, economics, and possibly science could be caught up then if necessary. If he places into WG, it would be up to you. I like the idea of my kids taking a full semester of college classes at the community college before they leave home OR doing a semester of missions work before college. So, I am thinking of getting 1-2 weeks ahead a year to make that happen. But, just finishing high school when they should finish high school is just as good.

As for the younger two, do you want to keep them combined forever or just for a year or two? You could combine them in Beyond for a year and have the 5yo be more of a tag along, focusing on the 3Rs for him. And then next year, you could split them into LHFHG and Bigger. But, if you want to keep them together long term, then repeating LHFHG is probably the best idea. You could beef that up by using the right side of Beyond for the older one and adding in some poetry.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

faiths13

Post by faiths13 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:06 pm

Thank you Stephanie :)
I didn't think to check for placement for my older son. That is probably a good idea! And I wasn't thinking about if I should combine them long term or not. I was just thinking of now. That is something good to consider!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Welcome back! :D Thanks for sharing about your dc - that helps so much! :D A swas mentioned by pp, for your 14 yo, I do think it is a great idea to look at the placement chart with fresh eyes and place according to what that child can really handle well. Many families are using MTMM for 9th grade, and many families are using WG for 9th grade. Either option will work fine doing a guide a year through high school, so it's important to choose according to what your child can do. As a busy mom, you don't need to be stepping in to help 14 yo ds in areas that are meant to be independent. :D

As far as your 5 and 7 yo, if you are going to combine theme, you will want to do LHFHG, especially considering the younger child would have 'nothing to do with LHTH' earlier. You can use Beyond Little Hearts for your 7 yo's LA and Math, but keep the 2 of them together in LHFHG for the rest of their subjects. :D This will allow them to be combined the entire way through. You will only be working out of 2 guides for 2 years, as once they reach Bigger Hearts as their main guide, there are multiple levels of LA and math already included in the guide. With LHFHG, you can use the Bible and the science you didn't use the last time. You can also borrow the read alouds from Beyond if you would like, using a different read aloud set the next year when you use Beyond as your core guide.

That being said, if your 5 yo has not matured, and has done mostly listening in here and there on things, LHFHG may just be too much. LHTH is only 20-30 minutes in length, and each box of plans is only 2-5 minutes in length. This is very appropriate for a 4 yo. I guess I'd view that as a heart issue to work through, and I'm wondering if you are going to come up against the same thing in LHFHG, as that guide is longer and builds on the skills learned in LHTH? If so, moving forward, it really may be better to have your 6 yo do Beyond..., and your 5 yo do LHTH. However, you will certainly know best given the circumstances. I hope something here helps! If you get the chance to share your placement chart findings, I'm sure everyone would chime in with more help!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

faiths13

Post by faiths13 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:18 pm

Thank you for your responses. I chose MTMm for my almost 14 yr old, since technically he is still in 8th. It seemed better to start him on that from where we are at now then throw him into the high school guide.
For my two youngest, I chose BHFHG. We just did LHFGG and I can't do it again so soon. I will have my 5 yr old sit in where he can, and for math and phonics do his own level. He is not ready to do a guide on his own. I'm hoping next year I can have him do LHFHG on his on, while my other son moves on to Bigger.
My order is on the way and I'm super excited!!