Slow math- lesson or time limit?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Motherjoy

Slow math- lesson or time limit?

Post by Motherjoy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:09 am

I have two kiddos working through Singapore 3a. One is slower than the other. Considetingvthe concept of short lessons, should I make them work an entire lesson or let them stop at a certain time period? The older is slower than the younger, so if he gets behind the younger he will feel bad. The younger reads better and is ahead in other areas. Math has been the area where older was a bit ahead (like a few lessons). It's easier for me to teach them both the same lesson, so I really don't want to seperate.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

mamanlait

Re: Slow math- lesson or time limit?

Post by mamanlait » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:50 am

I've had two different-abled kids go through Singapore 3a (at different times) but I've always tried to keep to the HOD schedule even if that meant breaking up the math lesson 20 min first thing and 20 min after other work was done. I also think that if your child knows that the lesson needs to be finished *that day*, it might speed things up. I would say that time was up for the workbook part of math after 20 minutes and leave the rest to homework. I've done the same with other subjects (like grammar) when the motivation level is low.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)