which math to get next?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Laura O.

which math to get next?

Post by Laura O. » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:16 am

Hello! My oldest Dd is about to finish up MTMM, and will move into her first year of High school. She will finish up Forester's math, so I was wondering what I should get next? We really aren't interested in a video based program.
What should we move to next?
Thanks for your advice!
Laura~in Japan
4dc:
Leah ~CtC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM and now WG
Rhys ~ BHFHG, PHFHG, ,CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev
Levi ~ LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG and now CTC
Emma LHTH, LHFHG and now BLHFHG
dh~together for 19 years :)

StephanieU

Re: which math to get next?

Post by StephanieU » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:33 am

So she has completed Forester's Algebra 1? If so, I would move to geometry, using one of Carrie's suggestions listed in the World History guide.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Laura O.

Post by Laura O. » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Yes she has. Thanks so much for your advice :)
Laura~in Japan
4dc:
Leah ~CtC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM and now WG
Rhys ~ BHFHG, PHFHG, ,CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev
Levi ~ LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG and now CTC
Emma LHTH, LHFHG and now BLHFHG
dh~together for 19 years :)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:12 pm

If you see this - how did you like it? I am using Singapore now (I switched this year to Singapore this year and feel really good about the switch). My oldest dd is ahead and will probably need to complete No-nonsense algebra for 7th grade. I had looked at video text originally but am leaning towards Foeresters. Just curious on how you liked it :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:15 am

Nealewill,
I just wanted to tell you that we have used Videotext for one semester now and REALLY like it! We did a month of Foerster's and a month of Videotext (more for my indecisiveness!) before making the decision. Though they are very different, I actually liked them BOTH very much! My dd ultimately made the decision to proceed with VT because of the shorter lessons and short videos. :) She enjoyed the concise teaching of the short videos (they are around 6 minutes long) bc I tend to get long-winded in explanations, mostly because I struggle to TEACH algebra even though I can DO it. What I've come to realize, however, is that I never really UNDERSTOOD it. Enter VT! :) We watch them together and then do the practice examples together on a white board before she does the exercise.

We use VT very much like we used Singapore except the teaching bubbles in the text are the VT Videos. The exercises typically consist of 8-10 problems since VT recommends odds on one day and evens the next. I bring this up because you said you might have a 7th grader finished with Singapore and ready for Algebra. The first module of VT would be a perfect fit for a 7th grader (spread out over a year). My dd is a year ahead by age so she would be a 7th grader this year but by academics she's an 8th grader. Unfortunately, with math, kids really need to reach a certain maturity to really understand algebra. It seems like puberty is the magic point of algebraic understanding. That might not be scientifically validated but it's been my experience. VT module one is making sure arithmetic is solid while bringing in mathematical properties. It was a perfect delay time-wise for us. I would strongly consider VT Module 1 rather than No-Nonsense Algebra. Even though it is a gentler version of Algebra, it's still Algebra. It still moves at a typical pace with the same concepts. As far as I can tell, the main difference is the easier word problems. You would basically be doing Algebra twice if you used it prior to Foerster's. Maybe that's your intention, I don't know. I've read that some people do that (an easy Algebra course early followed by a more difficult one) but after Singapore, my dd just needed some touch ups with arithmetic and TIME to mature. I think a Pre-Alg or Algebra Prep course would be wise choice if you went the Foerster's route to nail down negative number work and fractional work. Otherwise, that is built in with the 1st module of VT.
HTH
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)