Student Notebooking Pages - writing utinsel?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Robbi

Student Notebooking Pages - writing utinsel?

Post by Robbi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:29 pm

We are just starting CTC!! I'm curious if pencil or a certain type pen is better on the paper in the student notebook pages? My DD does not have neat handwriting and I'm kinda worried about her printing in these boxes! Thanks!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

chillin'inandover

Re: Student Notebooking Pages - writing utinsel?

Post by chillin'inandover » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Robbi,
my son uses Crayola Erasable Colored Pencils for timeline pictures and Draw&Write Through History pictures. For written narration and other writing he uses Frixion Clicker Erasable .07 ball pen. I found them at Office Supply store and Walmart. The clicker pen has built in eraser. It only erases with that eraser. It is made in Japan. I have 3 colors-red, blue, and black. IT doesn't remove the coating like other writing utensils have. Otherwise, I have had written narration done in pencil, and I go over it with fine point sharpie.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:25 pm

We just use regular pencils for writing and drawing. Regular colored pencils for coloring. They write their written narrations on regular paper and I go over it and check it. They just write final drafts on their notebooking pages.

I think it's really fun/interesting to look back over her notebooking pages from CTC and see the progression as she learned how to write inside the given space. There is very little erasing this year.

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:38 pm

My son is using fine tip quick dry colored Sharpies. I bought them at Target. They came in a orange, green, blue, and black pack. I tested them on the back of the cover, and within seconds they were dry as to not smear. He uses them for all of the note book boxes.

My son, by his own idea & choice, has been drawing lines in the boxes to write on. They are about the width of college rule.

HTH

mothermayi?

Post by mothermayi? » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:13 pm

We use Ticonderoga pencils and regular Crayola colored pencils. They work fine. However, erasing anything...pencils or color pencils alike, will leave a white spot on the tan colored pages. :?
~Began HOD Oct. 28, 2013
DS13 (7th) HOD RTR, MUS, DITHR 6/7/8
DS11 (5th) HOD CTC, Singapore & LOF, DITHR 4/5
DD6.5 (1st) MFW 1, Miquon Math, LOF
DD4.5 (PreK4) MFW K

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:25 pm

We like the Ticonderoga pencils. In fact, all of our kids have switched to using them, even my oldest in high school. We also enjoy the Crayola Twistables colored pencils. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie