Question about Beyond..

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Amey

Question about Beyond..

Post by Amey » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi Ya'll,

I am doing LHFHG this year with my 6 and 4 yo boys. (First grade and pre-k) My 6 yo ds placed in Beyond, but I wanted my 4 yo to be able to follow along as much as possible and it has been great! (We just finished our first week and I am so blessed!) :D :D :D

So..my question: Next year, I will most likely do the full version of LHFHG again with my (then) 5yo son for K, and my other son (then) 7 will be starting 2nd grade. I am wondering if Beyond Little Hearts has a schedule in the appendix for the Rod and Staff English 2? Or..if since he was technically ready for Beyond THIS year, I should skip it and go on to Bigger for 2nd grade since I will be moving into two programs anyway?

As a side note we are using CLE for math and LA this year if that should play into it at all. I will be doing the program as scheduled for 2nd grade (yet still using CLE math) with the Rod and Staff English 2. Just wondering if I should do Beyond or Bigger? I hope this makes sense! :? Thanks!
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

netpea

Post by netpea » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:42 pm

Each manual builds up to the next one in terms of workloads and skill levels, so if you are doing Little Hearts this year, I would imagine you'd do Beyond next year. We did Beyond for 2nd grade and I didn't add any grammar to it.

stellar

I would consider doing Beyond also

Post by stellar » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:12 pm

Have you thought of continuing with CLE instead of Rod and Staff?

Kari

Amey

Post by Amey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:50 am

Hmm, I suppose that staying with CLE could be an option...but I do really love the looks of Rod & Staff and would prefer to be as integrated as possible with the HOD manuals, minus math. If I did Beyond with CLE grade 2 then there would be overlap. If I have to buy the Bigger manual to get the schedule for R&S English 2, that's fine. I was just hoping Beyond might have it in the appendix??
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

Leslie in TN

Beyond/R&S

Post by Leslie in TN » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:24 am

No, the R&S2 schedule in not in Beyond's appendix.

I struggled with the same question for my 7 (8 in Jan.) yo who is starting Beyond soon, and I had to remind myself that R&S is a rigorous grammar program, and I needn't be in a great rush to get into it.. by the 4th/5th level, it covers more grammar than I ever had in my 12 yrs of schooling! :roll:

At least consider the possibilty of doing Beyond just as written.. daily copywork produces amazing results on its own, and the weekly grammar lesson Carrie incorporates is perfect for a 7yo, IMO!

Just my thoughts.. :wink:
Leslie in TN
Mama to Eva & Laura (16) and Samuel (14)

Currently using: World Geography with VideoText Algebra
Veterans of Rev2Rev, CTC, PHFHG and BLHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:43 pm

Amey,

I would honestly wait until you're close to the end of the "Little Hearts..." guide, and then re-check the placement chart to see where your little ones place. Kiddos change so much in a year's time! I'm afraid what I would advise you now might not be the best fit in a year! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie