ot can anyone give me some examples of your school name?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mom2fiveboysnc

ot can anyone give me some examples of your school name?

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:15 pm

I am filling out my paperwork to mail into the state and I have no clue what to use for our school name :? There are so many words I can't use in NC and I am not sure of using our last name. Can anyone share the names you use or some you have heard of to get my creative juices flowing? Thanks :)
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Ours is Little Blessings Christian School. :D

LeAnna
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:35 pm

Ours is Full Armor of God Bible Academy. I picked it because it reflects what I want for them, to have the full armor of God and the focus on Bible. :D So the Full Armor of God is kind of our theme.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:46 pm

I didn't realize that you needed a name for your homeschool...

Is that something that some states require? I don't recall reading that in my state laws. Or is it something that you just do just because?
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:49 pm

My state has a blank for school name so I just filled it in. I am not sure it is a law. It was just a space on the letter of intent. Later on in high school you will want a name for transcript reasons. You do not want it to say "mama's homeschool" hahahaha!

But don't fret. I am sure you are fine. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:03 pm

here in nc we can pick one or they will pick one for us based on the administrator's name (at least that is what i read). we don't have to declare intent to homeschool until the child is 7 so if yours are younger you may not have had to send anything in yet. i know the rules vary from state to state. the website for nc advises telling your child's school they would have attended so they won't count them absent (they can legally charge you here if your child misses so many days of school) even if they aren't old enough for you to send in your intent papers.
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

kelchud

Post by kelchud » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:09 pm

Ours is Covenant Christian Academy--dh and I feel like we've made a covenant w/ God to educate our children in a godly manner.
I've had friends who jokingly ask if their kids can enroll in our school but I tell them we're very exclusive--I have to give birth to the child for them to be accepted :lol:
Kelly
~Wife to Alan~
~Mom to dd14, ds11, dd7, and ds2~

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:09 pm

the website for nc advises telling your child's school they would have attended so they won't count them absent (they can legally charge you here if your child misses so many days of school) even if they aren't old enough for you to send in your intent papers.
:shock:

The compulsory age in NH is 6. So I figured I didn't have to send anything in yet since she is only 5 and public kindergarted is offered but not mandatory. Maybe I should send a letter of intent in anyway just to be safe???
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:18 pm

holyhart wrote: The compulsory age in NH is 6. So I figured I didn't have to send anything in yet since she is only 5 and public kindergarted is offered but not mandatory. Maybe I should send a letter of intent in anyway just to be safe???
I am waiting until I have to. I have my two youngest in LHFHG but only one will be accounted for this year. The younger one is going to be a grade level ahead of herself maybe but I am still holding off. Really it is a personal choice. There is no right or wrong. HSLDA does recommend you wait though.

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:20 pm

I would hesitate to send in anything that is not required. If the law states that your child does not have to attend until age 6, then I would say you are not obligated to give them any information until that time. Maybe you could check with the HSLDA to be sure?

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:21 pm

But can they legally charge me??? Or is that just a state by state thing? All these different laws are getting confusing. :?
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:23 pm

inHistiming wrote:Maybe you could check with the HSLDA to be sure?
good idea.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:28 pm

holyhart wrote:But can they legally charge me??? Or is that just a state by state thing? All these different laws are getting confusing. :?
OK you do not want legal advice from me. :lol: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/New_Hampshire.pdf
In my state if you did not have them in a school at any time then you do not have to report. If you had them in a preK then you have to report. But please check it out with HSLDA or your local homschool dept in the super intendants office. :D

BusyBeez

Post by BusyBeez » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:41 pm

We call our home school "Calvary Christian Academy" because we want to bring glory to the Lord, and because we are so grateful for all that He has done for our family.

We are careful to do exactly what is required by law in our state; no more and no less. There is a website from our DOE where we *can* register, but since it is not required by state law, we do not register.
~Ellen~ blessed wife of John and happy mom to five wonderful arrows
dd 19, ds 17, dd 15, ds 2, ds 2

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:57 pm

Good tip BusyBeez... Do exactly as required, but not extra. That's what our homeschool group recommends, and the HSLDA as well I believe.