ot can anyone give me some examples of your school name?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:40 pm

Hi,
Our homeschool name is Trail Blazer Academy. I feel the Lord is really leading me down a brand new path following Him. Training our dc for the Lord...against the flow of other family members & the world in general. So, we are blazin a trail for the Lord. :D I love to hear all of the different names & reasons we have them!
I don't need one for my state but it is nice to have. It kind of makes it feel official. :)

As for sending in info. My regulations say always do bare minimum. Just what is asked. Otherwise, they will start to expect more from us & we have cumbersome requirements as it is here in NY.

Blessings,
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

netpea

Re: ot can anyone give me some examples of your school name

Post by netpea » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:20 pm

mom2fiveboysnc wrote:I am filling out my paperwork to mail into the state and I have no clue what to use for our school name :? There are so many words I can't use in NC and I am not sure of using our last name. Can anyone share the names you use or some you have heard of to get my creative juices flowing? Thanks :)
We don't have to report to the state in MI unless we are filing as a "Non-public school". (Don't know why I would want to do that but it is one of the ways to opt out of school). As a "homeschooling family" we do not even have to file a letter of intent. So far the only time we've needed a school name was for Pizza Hut's BookIt program and we called ourselves Funshine Academy.

I really like some of the other names I've read in this post that glorify God! It makes me want to think of a new name for us.

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:42 pm

I chose Greenfield Academy (street name we live on)

Also, the boys designed their own school shirts (for field trips) and I made a teacher's badge (every time I ask for a teacher/homeschool discount around here, they ask for a teachers badge so I broke down and made one! HHHMMMPPPHH!!!) LOL

wdworkman

Post by wdworkman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:18 am

When my daughter was little, she picked the name "Little Learning Rabbits Homeschool" and drew two rabbits (one pink, one blue) as mascots.

Now that we're older - 10th & 5th grade - we've just been using the initials, LLR HS, and trying to figure out something else that fits those letters. The best we've come up with so far is "Loving, Learning, Reaching Homeschool". Any other ideas?

Leslie in TN

Our name...

Post by Leslie in TN » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:31 am

We've always called ourselves Maple Leaf Academy on all forms.. 'cuz we moved to the US from Canada four years ago. Don't want to forget where we came from! :)
Leslie in TN
Mama to Eva & Laura (16) and Samuel (14)

Currently using: World Geography with VideoText Algebra
Veterans of Rev2Rev, CTC, PHFHG and BLHFHG

annegirl1919

Post by annegirl1919 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:24 am

we call ours 'trade wind elementary'. trade wind is part of our location, so that's why we chose it.
wife to jaret '98
foster mom to andie '93
mom to aviah '01
mom to smith '04
mom to faye '08

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:39 pm

not required in NYS, but we named it Dayspring Academy from the start. ♥

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

bookworm

Post by bookworm » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:28 pm

The only reason I had to pick a name was for Scholastic book orders ;) I picked "Creekside School" because it's our address and we really do live by a creek.

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:58 pm

(Last Name) Family Homeschool

Only reason I have this is for when I fill things that say "school"....it is not necessary for PA.
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

BlessedMommy

Post by BlessedMommy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:42 pm

We are....

Life... More Abundant Academy.

I love the bit by Mark Lowry.... Where he talks about how Christ come to give us life... more abundant.

Blessings
Adrienne Kleeman
Wife to a WONDERFUL Hubby
Mommy to:
Avery - 8
Trenton - 6
Isabelle - 4

SandKsmama

Post by SandKsmama » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:07 pm

In NC also - our school name is Covenant Classical Academy, mostly b/c I wanted to pick something that eventually would sound good on a transcript, diploma or college application! :-) (and here in NC, once you pick a name, you can not change it!)
Amanda, wife to Michael since 5/99, SAHM to Susannah (7/96), Killian (1/01, and Katrielle (8/03) and ?? (2/09), Homeschooling and loving it!!

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:25 pm

SandKsmama wrote:(and here in NC, once you pick a name, you can not change it!)
Thanks for the tip :)

I'm thinking about Trinity for the 1st part of our name, and a host of others too :lol:

I love the reasons behind the names also. I want to pick something that shows my family's beliefs but is also distinguished enough for the legal stuff too (diplomas, transcripts, etc.). Thanks for all the great ideas :D
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:44 pm

I haven't totally decided yet, but I'm thinking Holy Heart Academy.

1. 'Cause it's a play on our name (and my screen name)
2. 'Cause Duet. 6:4-7 is sort of my "life" verse.

4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the Lord is one!
5 And you shall love the LORD you God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength.
6 And these words, which I command you today, shall be in your heart:
7 And you shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise up.

So I'm still trying to consider other names, this is the one that I'm leaning the strongest towards.

I love hearing why everyone picked the names they did. :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:43 am

Ours is Soaring Heights Academy or Salt & Light Academy. We are still trying to decide :? My oldest likes SH and the younger ones like S&L :P
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

Lori_in_Austin

Re: ot can anyone give me some examples of your school name?

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:29 pm

What a great post !

Some one in another post , "holyhart", on 11/3/2008, titled: RE: Weekly Check-in 10/23/2008, sent me the link to this thread and I am so glad, because it was so fun to read.

I thought of a name a while back and I did not know other people did it, too, so that makes me feel so good ! It took me months to think of something. At first I wanted something kind of "deep", but then it moved to something more ordinary and that would roll off the lips nicely, and that would fit teenage boys one day. I had a list of possible names in an excel spreadsheet a mile long. When I was trying to think of names, I looked at church names in the phone book and around town, I looked at private school association websites that listed the names of their member schools. Even the names of shopping centers and apartments sometimes sounded good.

Our name is "Cross Creek". I grew up with a wonderful creek up against our property and had so many wonderful memories just hanging out with me and God as a little girl...Plus I love water... And I want us to remember the cross of Christ should be the center of our education and the center of what we fill our heart, mind, body, and soul. A creek is also a stream or tributary that eventually leads to a river. And I love the old song "I've got a river of life flowing out of me, makes the lame to walk and the blind to see..." from all the summer camps and vacation Bible schools growing up. In addition, there are so many activities to participate in, I got kind of tired of saying "lets do school before xyz" Now I can say, "let's finish our Cross Creek activities and then we can go do xyz". Plus, I overheard my son talking to some Sunday school mates and soccer team-mates and they were asking him what school he went to since they were all just starting Kinder or 1st grade.

Oh, we even picked a mascot and colors. We narrowed it down to eagle, tiger, bear, mustang, and lion and went wit LIONs ! Roar ! I have two boys and I wanted something they would be proud of even as a teenager. School colors: red and white.

:?: What does all this have to do with HOD? :?: I hope Carrie will forgive us for being off topic. :oops: Maybe we can think of a way to bridge the two. :idea: Like as we go about fellowshipping with other hsing families, as we share about the identity of our school name, we can also talk about how HOD makes our home school have a HEART FOR HIS GLORY :!: :!: :!:
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR