your experience with science in revival-revolution

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kidsforHim

your experience with science in revival-revolution

Post by kidsforHim » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:54 am

I'm looking at using rev to rev science next year - mid Aug-May. Are the experiments/projects in exploration education curriculum doable in the winter? We've had other curriculum where the majority of the projects needed the space of the outdoors and that is difficult for us.The projects end up not getting done :( and that is frustrating. Being in SD we have plenty of space (except we ARE in town) but also plenty of snow and/or cold -like 7 below with 30 below windchill, our temps today. We've had yucky weather clear into May before so I can't count on it and If we put the projects away for a better day they don't get done either. We don't have a garage or basement.
Thanks,
Becky

sahervey

Re: your experience with science in revival-revolution

Post by sahervey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:25 pm

We're in week 17 and I believe most of them have been doable indoors. There are a few experiments done at the beginning of the year involving the glider and taking it outdoors, however a sunny day is not required. You can see the Table of Contents here: http://www.explorationeducation.com/#TBC
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

kidsforHim

Post by kidsforHim » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:06 am

Ok, thanks! Have you been pretty much successful making the projects/experiments? In other words, they've actually worked?

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:21 am

My son is doing the Advanced version and he's a 12 year old 7th grader. If I'm remembering correctly, most of them have worked well. I can't think of any of them that have failed. He is really loving the curriculum. I love it for him, too.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:43 pm

We live in SD too, so I understand this question! :D We were able to complete all of the experiments in EE with no difficulty. The only one I remember needing to brave the SD cold winter weather for was the launching of the rocket. Apparently, my nephew Shaw also had to brave the weather for his rocket launching (see p. 52 of RevtoRev's Photobook :wink: )...
https://heartofdakotasphotobooks.shutterfly.com/47

EE was an all-time favorite science for my ds Wyatt, and my next ds is beyond excited he gets to do it next year. I think you'll enjoy it too! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie