Resurrection to Reformation: Apologia Astronomy

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sarah_smile07

Resurrection to Reformation: Apologia Astronomy

Post by sarah_smile07 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:19 pm

Hi there!

I am highly considering Resurrection to Reformation for my 6th grade son (11 yo) this coming fall. I was very excited to see that Apologia Astronomy was being used in the science package! (I'm excited about tons more too!!)

I saw reference to scheduled notebooking for the science, & I was wondering just how in depth the program is with that. I had been eyeballing the Notebooking Journal that Apologia sells to accompany the book that comes with the Heart of Dakota program. To those who have used this package, do you think that adding this additional notebook would be too much? Also, if anyone has added it to your HoD package, did you (or would you) use the Junior or the regular notebook?

Thank you for any advice!!
Last edited by sarah_smile07 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Sarah :-)
Mama to three sweet kids:
*DS - 12 yrs old (Rev to Rev)
*DD - 7 yrs old (Bigger)
*DD - 2.5 yr old (starting LH soon!)

Completed: Res to Ref, Beyond :D

MelInKansas

Re: Resurrection to Reformation: Apologia Astronomy

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:15 pm

I haven't done Res to Ref, but in my experience with the other guides you will want to do the notebooking in the HOD guide and not add anything additional. It will be plenty rich and plenty enough work. If your child is placed well in the guide (as in ready and mature enough for the work and material) then it will be a fantastic year!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

sarah_smile07

Post by sarah_smile07 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:23 pm

Wonderful! Thanks, Melissa! :-)
~Sarah :-)
Mama to three sweet kids:
*DS - 12 yrs old (Rev to Rev)
*DD - 7 yrs old (Bigger)
*DD - 2.5 yr old (starting LH soon!)

Completed: Res to Ref, Beyond :D

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:59 pm

I agree with Melissa. Before finding HOD I did use a few of the Apologia books and did the notebook with them. However, HOD has a weekly schedule rotation that they typically follow. I don't know that all of the years are the same but this is the schedule they follow. On one day you do a notebooking page. Then another day you do an oral narration. The third day you answer 5 questions. And on the 4th day you do a science experiment. This was the schedule for Preparing and CTC. When I looked at R2R it looked to be similarly scheduled. So I would not purchase the notebook from Apologia if it were me. The schedule for HOD is very balanced and creates a beautiful keepsake. In addition, HOD uses more than just the Apologia book for the year. So if you follow the HOD schedule, then your keepsake will include all of the science texts, not just the Apologia one.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:27 pm

I agree about not adding more. However, Apologia's books come with a password that will allow you access to book extras like links and blank notebooking pages. You could look into that.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger