Singapore Math question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momxnine

Singapore Math question

Post by momxnine » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:48 pm

My just turned 13 year old son has finished CTC and we will start Res to Ref. after New Year's. YAY! I'm thinking about using Singapore Math because HOD does and what we've been using doesn't seem to be working anymore. We've been using ACE Paces for the last year and he was doing "okay" but then he got behind and didn't let me know and it's turned into a big mess. Soooo.... I'm thinking about just starting fresh with Singapore. I've never used Singapore before in all my 25 years of homeschooling. I don't think I've ever even looked at it! lol

He took the placement tests and did fine until he got to 3B. So is that where I start him? Or do I back up to 3A in case he doesn't know some of their concepts or something? And I saw on the actual website that they have extra practice books for each level. Are these needed? What exactly *do* I need to get him up to par so he's ready for Algebra in a couple of years?

Thanks!
Vicki in SW. MO.
Mom of 9 (ages 14 - 35) and Grammy to 7
14 ds - Finished CTC, RTR and Rev To Rev; MTMM - Fall of 2016

MelInKansas

Re: Singapore Math question

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:12 pm

You would start him in whichever book he started having trouble with on the placement test - so 3B would probably be it. There are schedules in the guide, though I don't know if 3B is in Res to Ref or not (I think it might start with 4A or maybe even 5A). My DD just marks off and does one day's worth of work each day because we are nowhere near "on pace" with the guide but I think their pacing is good. You may need to schedule 3B for yourself though, is what I am trying to say.

You need the workbook and textbook for sure. The answer key is nice if your child is self-directed enough in math to do it on their own and you just want to be able to check it. I use my answer key a LOT (my DD just finished 3B and has started 4A) because there are a lot of problems. Home Instructor Guides might be helpful if you feel you will need to teach a lot of concepts and need help with that. How it is roughly structured is this: for each day's lesson you would work through the textbook portion with the child, doing some demonstration problems on a white board or paper, gradually letting the child do some problems until you think they understand what they are supposed to be doing. Then the child can do the workbook portion on their own, with you grading it and making sure they go back and correct mistakes (maybe the next day, depending on how you structure your time with your child). Some days just have textbook and some days just have workbook and some days have both (again this is if you can use HOD's schedule).

I don't know about extra practice books. Some people do use them. Singapore in general is not about drilling and doing many many problems, it is more about understanding the concepts and making sure they understand. If your child is really having a hard time, or if you have a hard time teaching math, then this might be difficult (but it will be worth it if you can get through it!)

Singapore will be a big switch in style for you and your son, so be sure that that's where you want to go before you switch. It doesn't seem like there's a major problem maybe except for getting behind, but if you didn't know, then maybe your son just needs more accountability and guidance to get the work done.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

momxnine

Re: Singapore Math question

Post by momxnine » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:38 am

Another question....I got 3b & 4A for my son, which is a little behind. Sooooo.... I want to catch him up so he'll be on time for when he gets to Pre-Algebra. Since next fall he would "technically" be 7th grade, where would he need to be in Singapore Math? Would he be starting 6A? I'm trying to figure out many books he might need to cover before next September and how many lessons are in the other books. Can anyone give me an idea? :)

Thanks!
Vicki in SW. MO.
Mom of 9 (ages 14 - 35) and Grammy to 7
14 ds - Finished CTC, RTR and Rev To Rev; MTMM - Fall of 2016