VideoText Algebra and Creating Transcripts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Homeschooln2qts

VideoText Algebra and Creating Transcripts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:47 am

Hi ladies,

Hopefully some of you who are familiar with VideoText and have been down this road can help a clueless homeschool mama out. :lol: I'm entering new territory of keeping high school records for transcripts for my 8th grader who is already in Module D (out of Modules A - F) of VideoText Algebra. I have kept all of his work with his scores, and I just signed up for a program called My Homeschool Grades for record keeping and transcripts. The program has a section to enter his grade level, the course, grades, credits earned, etc. However, because VideoText is so different from typical Algebra courses in that there is no definitive "Pre-Algebra, Alg 1, Alg 2" courses, but instead it's completed in Modules and when all the Modules are completed, credits can be claimed for all three courses, I don't know how, and for what years to award the credits. Does that make sense? He started Module A in 7th. So should I put for 7th grade - Pre-Alg? And will potential colleges even accept credit earned in 7th grade? Please forgive me if the way I worded this is confusing. I'm confusing myself! :lol: I feel so lost and overwhelmed when it comes to record keeping in the HS years. :shock: T.I.A.
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

StephanieU

Re: VideoText Algebra and Creating Transcripts

Post by StephanieU » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:21 am

What do you plan on doing for high school? I am assuming after VideoText Algebra you will move on to geometry, but what do you plan after geometry? If you are considering something that is more algebra based, then I would call VideoText Algebra 1 and then what you do after geometry as Algebra 2. Then I am guessing you will probably do trigonometry and calculus or business math and statistics (depending on career plans).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:24 am

My understanding of transcripts (albeit my kids are still are young) is that you only include the items that are high school credit, not necessarily junior high. I would treat Mod A as pre-algebra. I would not include it on the transcripts. I would then treat Mod B-D as Algebra 1 and then Mod E&F as Algebra 2. Traditional algebra 2 courses have a lot of review and that review would have been completed in Mod B-D already. Then when you do the following series, I would split it A-C Geometry and D-F Trig and Pre-Calculus. Or you could use their scope and sequence on their website for that part of the program. Algebra in many schools is considered a High School class and so I would include at least Algebra 1 on your transcripts.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:24 pm

I would give VideoText a call! Tom and Alice are WONDERFUL people, and while I could try to answer your question here, they will answer it the best! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:41 am

I'm wondering if the OP got her answer from the company.

We are finishing Unit 1 this week using Videotext online. That might be Module A using the DVD's. We've spent a good 6 months on it because my dd's Pre-Algebra skills needed some extra work (even coming from Singapore 6 :cry: ) and I've been very, very happy with it ever since we realized that it's okay to just hover over a topic for a week when it's not soaking in right away. It's very clear to me by looking at the hardback Videotext textbook I was given at a conference, that Pre-Algebra ends at Unit 1 and Algebra 1 begins at Unit 2. I don't think the boundary is as clear from that point on because the next 2 units in combination go deeper than a typical Algebra 1 program, in some cases; but then it waits until the final Unit of Algebra to begin exponential work with algebraic equations.

I'm planning to simply write Algebra 1 for 9th and Algebra 2 for 10th on the transcript. Are you concerned that there won't be enough math credits for high school if you record Algebra 2 in 9th? I can understand that concern. Hmm... I would love for you to follow up with us! :)

I'll just pipe in that I was unsure of our choice to use VT and purchased Foerster's as well. I really liked Foerster's but dd liked VT better. After attempting both now, I'm thrilled with it. I do sit with dd during every (short) video lecture to make sure I'm understanding the lesson. I love algebra and math and I am learning so much even during the first module. I'm holding on to Foerster's for a possible use with younger dd but wanted to encourage others out there who struggled with the choice like I did. :wink: They are both good but VT is probably better for a child who is more language-inclined or needs a bit more Pre-Algebra practice. Foerster's moves quite a bit faster through Pre-Algebra and has Singapore-like word problems whereas VT breaks those word problems down into different methods for solving. VT is good for a less intuitive solver. Though Singapore did a great job of making dd a confident word problem solver, I appreciate the teaching that VT lays out in this area. It makes ME feel more confident.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Miranda,

The ladies are right in that Pre-Algebra is not counted as a high school credit for math. So, you would actually start counting high school math credits with Algebra I. Since your child is currently in Module D of VideoText, I would list Algebra I on your student's 8th grade transcript for math. Typically credit is listed on a transcript upon a course's completion, so you would then list Algebra II for your student's 9th grade math course upon completion of the other modules of VideoText Algebra. Even if your student moves on in his/her 9th grade year, after completing the remaining modules of VideoText Algebra, you would not list the math credit for that next math coursework until it is completed, most likely in the sophomore year. :D

While VideoText is an integrated math (integrating Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and Alebra II), for transcript purposes, it can still be listed normally dividing Algebra I and Algebra II over two years of the transcript. Just remember that once you begin VideoText Algebra, you'll need to stay the course to complete it (as trying to switch to a new Algebra program for Algebra II wouldn't work due to VideoText's integrated teaching of Algebra concepts). :D

Blessings,
Carrie

juliegmom

Post by juliegmom » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Just listening in. This information will be helpful in future planning. :)

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:18 pm

Ladies, I do apologize for posting this question and then not following up! :oops: Life got busy and well, and I meant to come back, but just plain forgot! :shock: Thank you all so much for your responses and advice!

I'm not in a huge hurry to start making out transcripts at this point since my ds is only in 8th grade this year, but I did want to start getting my ducks in a row now on exactly how to do it. I was primarily curious about how I would list the Algebra 1 credit being that he will complete the VideoText equivalent of it in 8th grade. I wasn't sure how I would document that on the transcript since most of the transcript templates I'm finding are only asking for info for the Freshman-Senior years. I actually knew (though I forgot for a moment) that Pre-Alg isn't credit worthy...duh..sorry about that! :lol:

My ds is LOVING VideoText! I am really glad we found a winner with this program, because I was very concerned higher level math was going to be a stressor being that I'm not mathy at all. :roll: It has been a God-send. He is basically independent with it and I just oversee. I wish I had more time to sit and learn alongside him! :mrgreen:

Thanks again, everyone! Hope you're all having a Merry CHRISTmas and I pray you all have a very BLESSED 2015!
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/