Science - Biology PACES - DVDs

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kidsforHim

Science - Biology PACES - DVDs

Post by kidsforHim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:22 am

My son is doing this for science this year, just the paces. He's doing it as written; checkups, selftests, tests, and labs( lab dvd). He finished pace 4 but 'failed' the selftest - 64%. This is the first pace he's had trouble. His grades for tests in the first three were 95 or above. He is having trouble with the scientific terms, the vocabulary words. The pronuciation and just understanding the text in general. He wishes it was 'teaching textbook' style.

I see that in the world history guide this science is used, so I am wondering for those that are using it with the dvd's, are they helpful? do you have them follow along with pace in hand? I think hearing the words spoken would do a lot for him but are they worth spending the money to get them? Or should I buy the guide and do it HOD way ( am I right- no checkups, selftests or test??) I know the guide isn't completed so I don't know how that would work.

His grades have been good to this point but he has shown increasing lack of interest, low motivation, I really don't know what to call it, in doing this science. He brightened when I read to him the description of the science in CtC. He would like something like that but at a different level maybe?? He can't seem to tell me how. He liked the sound of Biology 101 but we would have trouble getting some of the activities done, due to the distance to town, and frequently getting snowed in etc. He loves to read books. In younger years we'd get lots of books from the library and learned a lot. He scored above avg in his 8th gr SAT.

Do you have any thoughts, ideas? Just because we're in high school, does school have to be drudgery? He gets bogged down easily, how do you keep school light but still get in the credits? I'm sorry for all the questions.
Thanks,
Becky

mamanlait

Re: Science - Biology PACES - DVDs

Post by mamanlait » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:51 am

Becky,
I have heard wonderful things about the Biology DVD's though I don't own them. I have read all of the Biology PACES and have them in front of me now.

Have you considered dropping the assessment part of the text and talking through it instead?

I would sit down with your ds over this week and go page by page through the packet (there are only 30 pages) and casually ask what he remembers about each page. He's all ready read the material and should be able to teach it to you to some extent. Discuss those words bolded and italicized though don't expect him to remember most of them. There are just too many. Make sure he has the general ideas like "flagellum" on page 4 and "epidermis" on page 6. Talk about the portuguese man of war on page 14 and watch a youtube video on this interesting creature. Don't get hung up on all of the latin terms. Page 15 is tough unless you focus more on the Great Barrier Reef and perhaps watch a youtube about it!

You might consider that your student take his own notes and watch some online videos of some interesting concepts. My ultimate goal would be for my student to enjoy the subject and learn because she finds the material interesting. So much of science these days tends to be the focus of memory work. I don't understand that! It's sort of like what is happening in math. Too many terms too early!

PACE 5 looks much more interesting (who doesn't love worms?!). If your son is really sick-of-it, give him an assignment on which worms cause different human medical conditions before he even begins the next pace. :shock: That'll wake him from his slumber and may even motivate him into the medical realm!
Last edited by mamanlait on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

kidsforHim

Post by kidsforHim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:57 pm

Thank you Mamanlait for the reply! I had in fact thought of having him do a paper instead. I went into this not particularly liking the idea of questions and answers. We did one of the elementary apology books with the notebook and that worked very well. Tried General Science and he had trouble with it, though he really tried so that route isn't an option now. You gave some ideas to think on, the online video would be nice but we only have dial-up. :( I wonder if we got Biology 101 just to watch and match it up with topic in PACE?
Thanks again, you hit right on some of how I've been feeling. Would you say work through each pace in similar way? Writing essays and such? Any other ideas?
Becky

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:57 pm

My daughter is doing the science with the world history guide. She enjoys the DVDs and finds them helpful. We are doing all of the pace and the test as the review is helpful to her. We are not quite to the fourth pace though.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:00 pm

In terms of short essays exams...personally, I think that is a great alternative to using Biology PACE as written.
I will insist that dd learn to outline broadly from any science text in HS focusing on diagrams. I will sit with her for the first few weeks and outline alongside her as I think this is a skill that must be done carefully and slowly and with mentorship (I will make my outline beautiful and colorful).
For example, PACE 5 Unit 1 is on Segmented Worms p. 2-7. I will have my dd make a general and informal outline of this material: (the computer won't let me indent)
I. Segmented Worms
-are invertebrates called "Annelida" -- means "ringed"
A. Earthworms
1. most common annelids (Oligochaete meaning hair bc they have few hairs)
2. External Body Features -- draw the worm as in the book
a. no head or appendages
b. anterior end = mouth
c. posterior end = an*s
d. clitellum = reproduction (looks like a saddle)
3. Internal Body Features
a. **I would draw the diagram in my notebook on top of page 4
b. body wall
1. cuticle
2. epidermis
3. muscle
**draw diagram of how earthworm moves as shown**

* I will grade dd based on her notebook notes (organization -- but I'm only concerned with ease of understanding) and neatness. I want her to use colored pencils and make it beautiful.

I will do a final test for each booklet and most probably review with her the day before what I'm looking for. I will make sure her notes are thorough and ask her to use her notes as a guide. The Objectives listed at the beginning of each book give broad ideas for essay questions but I think the layout of the booklet makes skimming easy for essay writing. I would probably make up 5 of the most interesting essay questions I could muster: (I will include page numbers but this ought to be closed book)
1. Diagram the general characteristics of segmented worms.
2. Diagram the Life cycle of the beef tapeworm (see page 10)
3. Discuss the consequences and relationship of ticks and mites with animals. (see page 19 - ie. A dog with skin mites loses its hair and liveliness. Cheese mites infest cheeses, but will transfer to humans who handle infested cheeses and cause grocer's itch)
4. Draw a grasshopper and label at least 5 parts.
5. Write about a bombardier beetle OR why it is important to cook meat thoroughly (be specific as it relates to worms) p. 11.
6. For 5 bonus points, describe a video, article or resource you read about during the study of worms and what interested you most. (this encourages the student to research and dig deeper)

I skimmed the book quickly so these essay questions aren't well done. :)
I remember spending HOURS taking my own notes and studying from them out of science texts. I really believe this is a skill that is extremely important for college readiness and is invaluable as you get better at it with practice.

If I get myself motivated, I might spend a few hours over my week long break to write essay questions for all of the Biology PACES and I'll be sure to PM them to you. :)
HTH
Last edited by mamanlait on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)

kidsforHim

Post by kidsforHim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:01 pm

Oh my, that is so kind of you to think of doing that for me, if it works out you can. It brought tears.

I love your idea- outlining science text. I sat & looked at the diagrams in the pace & wondered about having him draw them but I felt so totally lost how to go about it. He needs daily lesson plans to tell him exactly what to do each day & I am not a planner either to that extent. I'm so close to just pitching the whole thing but I don't know what to get to replace it.

I really, really, appreciate your detailed ideas. It helps me to see how this could be done. I just feel totally inadequate and lost to do this on my own with no 'instructions or plans to follow. My own schooling is hindering me as well ( or maybe I should say the lack of). I attended christian day school from 5th up, that used the ACE paces and was on my own, not a lot of interaction or extra instruction in subjects like writing & of course that was before 3rd edition. I went one year to a Bible college and got low grades, I didn't know how to take notes! I don't know HOW to help them in their writing :oops: I really don't remember much of anything about biology or any other subject for that matter in high school. I don't feel a bit qualified to homeschool and very overwhelmed with my oldest in 9th this year. It's only the grace of God that we've gotten this far teaching school! I'm getting a bit off subject here but was just wanting to give some background info.

Thanks & I'm open for more thoughts
Becky

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:17 pm

Becky,
You can certainly follow HOD's plans (though it sounds like you are farther along than the WH writing is so far) but just don't fret over the grades and such! I fully plan to use the HOD Guide Science box for pacing but not require the same written goals (mine will be a notebook requirement rather than the ones included in the text). I'll PM you with some more ideas and maybe some handwritten samples. :)
Hugs!
Currently:

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:45 pm

If you don't have the world history guide, the DVDs do lay out the course of study. They tell the student exactly what to do. The world history guide has the student watch the video first and then read the PACE. I have my child do the opposite. I like the videos as a review.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

kidsforHim

Post by kidsforHim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:56 pm

Oh, that is helpful to know! I was wondering how it was set up with the dvds.
Thank you!