habit of attention

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
psreit

Re: habit of attention

Post by psreit » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Julie - Thanks for posting here. I have been dealing with the attention issue, with Angie and myself. :oops: It is sooo easy to get distracted. Angie likes to be doing things with her hands when I read. I don't let her when we are doing Bible and typically not when we are reading history. But, during storytime, I let her draw. I should probably stop that. Listening in church has always been tough for her. If she doesn't have a pen and paper, she wants me to massage the palm of her hand to relax her. It works. :? I know we need to make some adjustments, so what you said and what you posted that Carrie said are very helpful. Can I get this right before my last child graduates? :roll:
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:11 pm

psreit wrote:Julie - Thanks for posting here. I have been dealing with the attention issue, with Angie and myself. :oops: It is sooo easy to get distracted. Angie likes to be doing things with her hands when I read. I don't let her when we are doing Bible and typically not when we are reading history. But, during storytime, I let her draw. I should probably stop that. Listening in church has always been tough for her. If she doesn't have a pen and paper, she wants me to massage the palm of her hand to relax her. It works. :? I know we need to make some adjustments, so what you said and what you posted that Carrie said are very helpful. Can I get this right before my last child graduates? :roll:
I think you are getting a TON right, presit!!! :D We ALL struggle with the habit of attention at times. It is impossible to focus all of the time on each and every thing! From your other posts you've shared, I think you are doing such an amazing job with Angie this year!!! Such progress is being made, and that must be celebrated! :D I'll share a weakness I have. I am prone to draw out discussions, and I used to do it in almost every single subject area that had anything at all that lent itself to discussing. :oops: Especially when I had just Wyatt that I was homeschooling, I thoroughly enjoyed discussing almost everything! Unfortunately, I have found through the years, this is something boys, in general, or at least my sons :wink: , do not love. I have a mixed reaction to this. I want to teach the importance of our sons having the 'get it done' trait, but I also like to 'seize the moment' sometimes, especially if the thing we are talking about is a matter of the heart. I try very hard not to discuss things to death anymore. However, I still always allow myself to draw out discussions if I am feeling the Lord leading me to do so. This year "Boyhood and Beyond" with Riley, "Total Health" with Wyatt, and "Morning Bells" with Emmett are my 'seize the moment' subjects. The rest I clip along with, and I stick to the routine, but I give myself permission to draw out what I deem 'the important stuff.' Does that mean the boys are always altogether so grateful or completely into what I'm saying? No, not always. But, I feel it is important, and in itself, I guess that can be a habit of attention, just as long as I don't do it all the time. :wink: Everyone probably has things like this. Things that deem themselves more important for the year, and that is probably just prioritizing.

As far as church, it really helps our dc to focus on what the pastor is saying by having them take notes. It helps ME too! I have a notebook I take notes in, but they take notes on the provided overview paper in the bulletin. Then, we share our thoughts looking at our notes on the drive home. Maybe just getting Angie a notebook and letting her take short notes could help? Anyway, you are doing a super job with Angie! Keep up the good work, and stick to a routine, and her habit of attention will continue to strengthen! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

psreit

Post by psreit » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Julie. Keeping a routine. :shock: Something I have tried so often, and just can't stick to it. :oops: When I read your posts, it inspires me to try again. :wink: Honestly, since we are doing HOD again, I feel I could have somewhat of a routine, at least for school. I am determined to try. :) I am trying to simplify my life in certain ways, so maybe I could finally get in a groove, although I have a daughter and a daughter-in-law out of state having babies this year, and my other daughter(25) is suppose to have a big surgery possibly in the next few months. So, this could be a challenge. :? :)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:31 pm

Just coming back to check this post. Thank you, Julie, for your input! We have work to do in this area of attention. My oldest is so good at narrating. He can remember every minute detail of my readings, sometimes weeks later! My younger daughter (6) has a much harder time paying attention. I haven't figured out if the stories aren't interesting to her (she could never seem to follow the Burgess' stories last year), or if it is just something we need to work on. I think I will have to start requiring complete separation and no toys during reading time. My 3 year old likes to join us for readings, but I think my daughter prefers entertaining him to listening. It always feels like there is something to work on...sigh.

I definitely need to get in the habit of only reading once now before they get to higher level readings and narrations!

Thank you also for your comments on routine vs. schedule. That is so much easier to manage!

I have found just focusing on each box as written helps school to fly by quickly. It is definitely manageable and not time consuming.
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:56 pm

Just to encourage you too, just because your 6yo can't narrate much now, if you keep working with the guides as written she will grow in it for sure. My oldest never could. It might have been somewhere in Bigger that she finally caught on and it wasn't like pulling teeth to get a short narration out of her. Now she narrates very well, and it is such a joy discussing readings, sermons, etc with her. Her Sunday School teachers (several different ones as they rotate in the summer) have told me they are impressed with her memory and critical thinking about the Bible lessons.

Hope this helps.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:02 pm

Thank you MelinKansas, that is super helpful. I will keep plugging away with her and not be discouraged about her narration skills yet!

And thank you, mamanlait, for the reminder to not make school drudgery in these early years. I suppose the more experience I get teaching, the more perspective I will have on these early years.

And Motherjoy, how do you avoid repeating yourself if they child truly has no idea what you just said? Still something I am trying to figure out...

And Julie, thank you for the links to Carrie's posts and all the extra advice!
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14