Coming back on board....again:)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
psreit

Coming back on board....again:)

Post by psreit » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:31 pm

First of all, I want to say, Julie, thank you for that sweet message on the other thread. I mentioned to Angie the other day that we may be going back to HOD. She didn't sound thrilled. She just remembers HOD being in the picture when she had that very bad year of school. So, I proceeded to tell her that we would go back to Bigger Hearts so the work would be 'easier' :wink: She just responded with 'oh' or something like that. I truly believe stepping back to Bigger will put us on the best path to keep from becoming overwhelmed and frustrated. I did look at the placement chart. Other than already having cursive, she places nicely in Bigger. I will just have her continue doing some copywork to practice cursive.

I am thinking about beginning Bigger in January instead of waiting until next fall. I'm waiting to make a decision because next month I am going to my doctor to possibly be tested for Lyme. So, my decision may be based on what we end up having to pay if treatment is needed. Since we did half of Bigger, I am only planning to get the economy package without science, although we will use two of the science books we didn't get to last time. But, we will do all of the history/Bible. Angie has a very hard time reading maps, due to her problems with visual perception, so Bigger will be a gentle way to ease her back into HOD's history and geography activities. I will just keep having her read books I have here that are comparable to the late ER books. So, I think I have a plan, no matter when we start. I'm looking forward to being back here. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

momtofive

Re: Coming back on board....again:)

Post by momtofive » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:46 am

Welcome back, Pam! :D

Sorry to hear about the possible Lyme's diagnosis. Praying things go well for you and Angie! ;)
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:09 am

Praying for your decision and testing.

I hope you both enjoy Bigger, whenever you return.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks to you both. I was concerned about having very large medical payments if I have to go through Lyme treatment. A friend, who's husband had Lyme, went to a doctor who accepted insurance. (Many don't) So, if I can get a doctor who takes insurance, our out-of-pocket expense will not be so back-breaking. Maybe we will be able to begin Bigger in January. :D I'm still going to wait to decide after I actually see a doctor.

This year we began reading the American Girl books. Even if we begin in January, I would still like to continue reading those. Angie is absolutely loving those stories. Since I am still reading everything to her, because of her dyslexia, I cannot add those on top of everything else in the guide. Could I incorporate those into the storytime box, even though they do not follow certain genres? When she did Bigger a couple years ago, we read some of the books listed in the guide. I believe we made it though the fantasy book. That is halfway. So, I'm thinking we could read American Girl books for storytime the remainder of the year. I could still ask her some of the questions in the guide. Then, next fall, we can pick up with books to fit the genre. I still have two of the books we didn't get to. :) I believe we won't have a problem going full speed, but many weeks will be difficult to do 5 days. So, I'm not sure we'd even finish 16 weeks, which is probably where we stopped before. It would be close.

Here I am talking myself into something. :roll: I AM excited about doing Bigger again. This time it won't be overshadowed by other frustrations. :D Although Angie is doing well in what I have her doing now, it will be so nice to have the consistency of a guide, and I think she is ready for a little more challenge in certain areas. Bigger will give her a gentle push without bringing frustration. :D I aim to make a decision soon. The Lord is still teaching me patience. :)
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:24 pm

I would think you could use the American Girl books for at least a few genres (historical fiction, realistic fiction, and adventure for sure), allowing you to do the guide exactly as written. Another option is maybe invest in a few as audio books (if you have a Kindle, they are often free with the Kindle version of the book). Also check your library to see if they have any on CD or e-audio book (our library has a few on CD). Those would be good to listen in the car, before bed, etc. She could also "read" them as quiet reading time with a "real" book in front of her.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:43 pm

I have thought about the audio versions, but didn't know where I could get them free. I found them for $15/6 book series on, I believe, audio.com. I passed on those. We love to listen to stories in the van, when on long trips. I'll have to see if I can find them somewhere else. We are doing a monthly co-op in conjunction with one/month of the American Girl stories. There are six books to the series, so it is a good bit of reading. I plan on reading these through the rest of the year. I can't give my daughter a book like that to read independently. She has dyslexia and I still have to sit with her to listen to her read. Sometimes she reads almost perfectly. Other days she stumbles, because she sometimes will read by shape of the word and by context of story(which is typical of dyslexics) so then she just guesses. She has been reading some fairly difficult words recently, so she is doing better. But, it all depends how she is seeing/perceiving things. Some days good, others not as well. Like yesterday. She read almost perfectly. Today she stumbled more, so I had to help her with more words. Some of them were easy words. So, it may be difficult to know when she is ready to do independent reading.
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

psreit

Post by psreit » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Update-I talked to a natural doctor today. He has been treating Lyme naturally for 20 years with much success. After telling him some of my symptoms, he said it probably is Lyme. I am probably going to see him, maybe even on Friday, if everything works out. I just 'happened' to find him while searching online through Lyme websites. It wasn't even a doctor that came up on these special websites. I really believe the Lord was in this. My dad, who was diagnosed with Lyme a few months ago, is planning to consult with him as well. The exciting part about this is that he is a Christian, relies on prayer, AND his cost is VERY reasonable. :D Last week I was in tears after talking to someone at another doctor's office, because I thought we were going to be forced to pay several thousand dollars for me to get proper treatment. The Lord is good! :D Please pray that this protocol will work. One of my main symptoms is excessive chirping in my ears with some distortion to my hearing. I have had this for 2 years, never realizing it could be a symptom of Lyme. Just the thought of it possibly getting better seems almost unreal :!: :!:

So, my plan is to begin Bigger in January! :D I will probably wait until after Christmas to order, but I am looking forward to using HOD again. :D Even in the midst of all the difficulties my daughter has had the past two years, and working with other resources, I never lost my appreciation for what Carrie has put together in these guides. Even though I was beginning to think HOD wasn't going to work for Angie again (because I was aiming too high in the guides :roll: ), deep inside of me, I must have been hoping otherwise. :wink:
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Prayers for your restored health and praises that you found a doc who will be able to help you naturally and for a reasonable price!

I will also pray for a successful start to Bigger and for blessings on you and your daughter as you work through it.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:34 pm

Prayers on finding answers to your Lyme's disease. I live in Lyme territory, and know many with this disease. They have found success with alternative medicine-naturopathy.
Praise that you will be returning to HOD. I have found it to the best curriculum. It is academically sound and keeps my children's hearts and minds focused on God, our Creator and Redeemer.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:47 am

Praise God for his gift to you in finding someone! God is so good to us! And I am very glad to hear that you will be feeling better. I can't even imagine having to live what you have gone through for the length of time you have had to endure it.

And like the previous poster mentioned, congrats on being able to come back to HOD. I know my kid's education wouldn't be nearly as interesting nor so entwined with the Lord if I had gone it alone. I am also grateful for all of their efforts and producing this fantastic curriculum.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:56 am

Thanks for the prayers and support. I am definitely scheduled for Friday at 3:30. Please pray the doctor will know exactly what is needed for the best results. Also, we need to drive 2 hours one way and we will be driving around our capital city on a Friday evening. :shock:

As far as HOD, I have never doubted the academic excellence and Biblical emphasis contained in each guide. I just came to a point where I needed to deal with my daughter's situation a different way. I tried to keep making HOD work, even when I knew I should be focusing on specific areas of need. We made it over some major humps, I have continued to keep Bible and character a focal point of my daughter's learning, and now stepping back to a guide to give her gentle nudges forward in other areas, so I believe I will see more positive results. I remember my daughter loving the books in Little and Beyond. Then the difficulties surfaced and overshadowed the enjoyment of Bigger.

So, the blessings are twofold. We can go back and enjoy Bigger and I am trusting the Lord for physical healing that will also be beneficial for my patience level. :D I'm glad to be back. :D
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

forever lovers

Post by forever lovers » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi so sorry to hear about your Lyme disease, no fun. I'm so happy that you've been able to find someone who can help you. I am also from PA and was curious about the natural doctor you've found. With the whole lyme's disease thing nowadays it's nice to have information of people who experienced with it :) We'll be praying for you. I don't have much to offer experience wise with HOD, we're in our first year ourselves and enjoying it immensely so far. I hope you have a wonderful year ahead with your daughter. :D God bless,
Annalisa

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Annalisa,
I PM'd you with the information.
Glad you are enjoying HOD.
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:29 pm

I'm glad that you were able to find a doctor who is willing to work with you. I will be praying that you will find a good course of treatment and that it will be effective.

Also, I'm excited for you to get to come back to HOD. We came back last year and it has been such a blessing especially now with the new baby. I don't know how we would have gotten our other curriculum done each day with a baby in the house!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Welcome back, though in spirit and in heart, I've always thought of you as 'here'! I am praying for you and for Angie - for your health, and for her schooling. Thank you for your kind words - I am glad the words I have written to you were found to be uplifting! We all need that so much - God bless!!! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie