Help picking books

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rice

Help picking books

Post by Rice » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:24 pm

We're doing DITHOR using the same genres for my 2 boys but at different levels. We'd like to do Fantasy next (some choice lessens rebellion for my pre-teen :D ) so I'm planning to give him Song of the Trumpet (5/6).

However, my 9 yo I'd like to have in level 4/5 but am having trouble picking a book for him. He has already read Little Pilgrim's Progress (just last year for school, narrated and everything) and any of the ones from the Optional Book List from DITHOR that I actually recognize he has also read. The others I don't recognize and don't know if I can get at the local library. I would love to use a book from here but did not purchase the full Level 4 set as I had so much more to purchase this year (3 guides for 4 students plus ERs & extra guide plus DITHOR packages for the other 2. . .) so I know I've kind of got myself into this corner. :oops: And we're supposed to start the next genre on Thursday.

One book I remember loving as a child is Enid Blyton's The Enchanted Wood, but haven't looked at it again from a parent's perspective. Any thoughts on that one?
I'd also wondered about The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe but I think that's a bit heavier reading than I want to assign him right now.

He's only 9, when considering maturity, but is handling CTC quite well so far and has an advanced reading level.

Fantasy's not my strong suit (The Enchanted Wood is the only one I remember liking before the Hobbit in Grade 10!) so any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

mrsrandolph

Re: Help picking books

Post by mrsrandolph » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:39 pm

Julie Andrews has a book I like called "The Last of The Really Great Whangdoodles". :)
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Molly

Post by Molly » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:33 am

Have you read Poppy by Avi? That was a fabulous book, my girls and I read it together for Dithor when they were 9 and 12. It certainly would keep a boy entertained I would think. I was really surprised what a great book it was.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

Molly

Post by Molly » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:38 am

Mind you The Enchanted Wood would be ok, I have been reading it to my blossoms, it is probably considerably more far fetched and involves gnomes and elves and other things so you may not be quite so keen.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:02 am

What about Tuck Everlasting or a Roald Dahl book?

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:04 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

MrsRandolph - I've not heard of that book. May need to try to find it some day but it's not one I have on hand.

Molly, yes, he's read both Poppy and it's sequel. :cry: And thanks for your input on TEW.

I haven't read Tuck Everlasting myself - I should put that one on my own "to read" list! And Roald Dahl is a good idea, too. . . hmmm. . .

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics