What to do after The Reading Lesson???

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
nena3927

What to do after The Reading Lesson???

Post by nena3927 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:03 pm

My ds 6 is 4 pages from finishing TRL and we are so excited! However he still has struggles with reading and I'm not sure about having him move into the ER set just yet. He gets frustrated REALLY easily when he has to sound out a word and gets it wrong, then he just starts randomly guessing words that might fit the picture. He actually randomly says words while reading sometimes that there is no way it could be a particular word...I don't know how in the world he comes up with some of the stuff he says! Anyways, I'm not sure what to do next. I am planning on covering just a few things in Alpha Phonics that were not covered in TRL but after that I'm lost. He tried reading the first story in the Emerging Readers Bible and he missed about 5 or 6 words that I had to help him with. I have been considering using the last half of CLE's Learn to Read curriculum before proceeding. He is doing 1 page a day already in Explode the COde and is on book 3. He likes to do that usually. Any suggestions? Should I just dive right in to the ER set and take it slow? Run through another phonics program quickly? He already has bob books and the Nora Gaydos readers and reads them sometimes but he definitely doesn't have a love for reading just yet. He finds it too hard once you get past 4 letter words. It doesn't help that his younger sister just turned 5 Monday and is on Lesson 18 in TRL and is reading EVERY kids book we have on her own. I feel bad for him because it doesn't come nearly as easily for him. Thanks for listening and any suggestions appreciated! Also if you have used CLE Learn to Read to fill in gaps for a struggling reader please let me know how that worked out for your child. Thanks again!
~Nena
Blessed Wife and Mother of 3 :)
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond
DS (4) Loving R&S Preschool Workbooks

StephanieU

Re: What to do after The Reading Lesson???

Post by StephanieU » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:51 pm

How about trying some books slightly easier than the ER books? Most libraries have the Bob Books (super easy overall, but great for confidence) as well as My First and Level 1 I Can Read books. These are what my daughter read before starting the ER series. Once she was ready for the Level 3 I Can Read books, we started the Beginner's Bible (since that is the one we owned). It really gave her the confidence she needed.
Another option for more of a curriculum would be Reading Pathways (by DorBooks). We own this for our younger two, and it really works on sounding out big words. I plan on using it with them alongside Phonics Pathways (also by DorBooks).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:46 am

nena3927,

We had a similar situation with our fourth little guy after finishing The Reading Lesson, which was a new situation for me as my other boys pretty much took off after phonics and were ready for the Emerging Reader's Set. I had stopped over the summer with phonics instruction (two different summers) while using The Reading Lesson, simply because I was so busy writing. I know this took a toll on my last little guy's readiness when he finished phonics. He also had tubes in his ears, which we had taken out this summer (due to fluid stuck in the tubes), so I don't think he was clearly hearing the sounds either. And, with my years of teaching spent helping kiddos learn to read, I knew all kiddos were different as to how much "phonics" they truly need and how much time it will take them to grow into being able to read real books. So all of these things were definitely playing a role too in my little guy's readiness to read. :D

I'll be honest that I ordered Hooked on Phonics (just the Level 1 and Level 2) to review. But the thing that really helped get my little one excited about reading (which I somehow forgot along the way) was to place "real" books that are very easy and that he CAN read without struggle in a shoebox and have him read to me or his Dad nightly from the box. I also realized that we had not been reading aloud picture books to my last little one very often (like we did for our other boys), so we read one book to him that is a hard picture book nightly, and he reads one book to us. This helped his enthusiasm for the written word to grow too. :D

My little one had the Bob books and all of the other "little" readers in his room, but he wasn't excited about them. He thought the stories didn't make sense, and truly he was beyond them maturity-wise now even if they were good reading practice level-wise. My other boys liked the Bob books, my oldest loved them in fact, but the older boys in our family read them when they were much younger. Once I took note of what my little guy could truly read without difficulty, I realized we had quite a ways to go in building fluency.

He didn't need another phonics program, he just needed time with me (or dad) reading the really easy readers to build confidence. So, we backed up to the super easy readers for awhile. For example, like Stephanie suggested above, we headed back to the "Shared My First Reading" "My First I Can Read Books" (which come before the Level 1 readers). These would be books like the easier "Biscuit" series and the "Mittens" series. We also used some Level 1 and above books, but they were the easier looking ones.

For example, some other books that worked for us were Mouse Soup, Wake Up Sun, Oscar Otter, Sir Small and the Dragonfly, Why Benny Barks, Grizzwold, Sammy the Seal, Danny and the Dinosaur, Pie Rats Ahoy, Hiccups for Elephant, My Dog Talks, Thomas and the School Trip, Clifford and the Big Leaf Pile, The Lion and the Mouse, the easier Little Critter books (like When I Get Bigger, Just Me and My Puppy, Merry Christmas Mom and Dad, All By Myself, The Trip, etc.). While these specific titles are in no way needed, I share them to get you thinking that often our little ones are overwhelmed by too much text on the page, and they are missing the thrill of reading a cohesive story with beautiful pictures. So, these books fill that gap.

As they read the easy books, they gain confidence, the sounds are reinforced, and they begin to enjoy reading. By placing books they can read in a box or a cube, we are setting apart those that will be enjoyable for the child to read without so much work. My little one started taking his box in the car to read on the way as we went places. He started reading with his box next to him in his bed. He took his box downstairs to read when he had free time. He asked for more Biscuit books and more Mittens books and read them all when they came. He has a ways to go, but I am thrilled that he is enjoying reading and wanting to read. I can see that he will be ready for the Emerging Reader's Set in a couple of months and be more prepared. We could start now, but it would be frustrating. Instead, we're building skills to begin strong in a couple of months. :D

When he doesn't remember a sound, I try to have him sound it out, or I restate the rule... remember "ou" says... When he's reading bigger words, I'll cover up part of the word with my finger(s) to show the word in manageable chunks and have him read each part and put it together to make the whole word. When he guesses, I'll repeat what he said, and ask, "Does that make sense?" I strive not to let him get frustrated and to make the reading fun! :D I think this strategy of placing books kiddos can read into a box or a cube just for them is one that can be applied to many different ages. It sets apart books that really can be read by the child at whatever stage of reading he/she is at and keeps them from frustration with books that are way too difficult. I also try to remember that our school books push the kiddos into higher level material, so it is good to keep the free reading books easier. No one likes to be pushed to peak performance all of the time. Some things should be easier! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Thank you Stephanie and Carrie for your suggestions! I especially like the idea of getting a special "box" with some easier books that he can read without frustration. Our library here is pretty small and unfortunately they do not have very many options for beginner readers but I will start there and see what I can find. I did find a great deal for Abecedarian B1 and B2 and think it will be great to reinforce the vowel team sounds which is what he has the most trouble with. Thanks again ladies. I appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice!
~Nena
Blessed Wife and Mother of 3 :)
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond
DS (4) Loving R&S Preschool Workbooks

Tooactiveboys

Post by Tooactiveboys » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:46 pm

I would love to see this post under one of the "lightbulbs" such as: A series of Common Questions.
Nena3927 has a duplicate of what is going on in my house and the answer is wonderful.

Becky
Becky
Married to DH 21 years
DS 9 just finishing Bigger
DS 8 just finishing Bigger
Completed: LHFG, Beyond

jenn in nc

Post by jenn in nc » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:20 pm

Tooactiveboys wrote:I would love to see this post under one of the "lightbulbs" such as: A series of Common Questions.
Nena3927 has a duplicate of what is going on in my house and the answer is wonderful.

Becky
I agree!
Jenn, mom to 10