World History help with cd.....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Allison TX

World History help with cd.....

Post by Allison TX » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:38 pm

My ds is using and enjoying the new World History guide. Everything is going well except for the "You Are There" audio cd. He's having a really hard time hearing and understanding the cd. I tried to listen along and had a hard time as well. Is this a skill that will take a while to develop, or can I get any tips to help him with this? I think there has only been one track used so far, but looking ahead I can see that there will be more of these lessons coming up soon, so I'd like to have some ideas before he gets there. :)

Allison

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: World History help with cd.....

Post by Carrie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:59 am

Allison,

It really helps to plug headphones into the computer to listen to the MP3. That makes a huge difference in how well you can hear! I would also recommend allowing the student to pause and add to their bulleted lists for each character as they listen (rather than waiting until the end to do so). Also, encourage rewinding/backtracking as needed if the child has lost the thread of what is going on. I know I paused and backtracked myself to pay attention to descriptors used for characters or to make note of a pivotal moment! :D

This is a very challenging assignment filled with many different skills! :D There are many different characters in each audio session taking part in the event on the track, most of whom probably are not familiar to the student. Then, the students are needing to make connections (about who the characters are and what is going on - based on background they've had in their other reading materials for history), develop an opinion about the controversial characters/events, articulate that opinion in writing, and defend/support their opinion with examples from the listening session There is MUCH higher level thinking going on in this particular assignment, so it is definitely an assignment to grow into all year long! :D

Some of the sessions are harder to hear than others, however the learning that goes along with this type of auditory/note-taking assignment is unmatched in other areas (making it a very necessary part of the curriculum). :D It is one of the more challenging aspects of the World History part of the guide. The process of sifting and sorting as your child listens to glean the important bits to include in his/her notes is a terrific skill! Then, to formulate the events/characters into a cohesive whole and weigh the varying viewpoints and the role they played in the whole picture is such an important skill too. Think of it as listening to a college professor and taking notes from a lecture that moves very quickly, however this is more interesting! Take heart that it will reap big rewards as the year progresses. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks so much, Carrie. We will try all your suggestions. :D

dianeh47

Post by dianeh47 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Allison,
We have put the "You Are There" CD through our DVD player and it is clear and understandable.
Blessings,
Diane

Began HOD in 8/2008
Joel -18 US2 History