If you use different LA than listed by HOD-what do you use?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
bookworm

If you use different LA than listed by HOD-what do you use?

Post by bookworm » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:08 pm

I'm not talking about DITHOR but rather the Rod and Staff or Language Lessons. If you don't use these because you were already using something else or these just didn't work for you-what do you use?

Does it work fine with the HOD program you're using?

I hate to switch LA again but I do like what I've seen with the Language Lessons for the Elem Child.

Just curious how using something else has worked out for others-especially for those using Bigger.
Thanks
Ann

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:34 pm

I used Beyond this past year and added in First Language Lessons, grade two, because I had used it before for grade one and wanted to finish the book. I did Beyond w/second grade. This year I am switching to R&S because it seems so awesome. But since I am doing grade three with Bigger, I have to use the R&S 3 schedule.

It was find doing something different for Beyond. I don't think it detracted from the overall program. HTH. ♥

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:31 pm

I think that's the beauty of the program, that you can do whatever you want to do with the skeleton of it, kwim? We have at various times used a different math, and a different LA. Right now we're are not using R&S but the Queen LA, and it works out just fine. :-)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

momto2grls

Post by momto2grls » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:42 pm

We are using BJU English 2 and dd loves it. :)
Proud mom of 2 girls :
dd - 7yrs Bigger Hearts
dd - 3yrs Little Hands

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:27 pm

I am using Charcater Quality Language Arts with my girls. I bought it before I found HOD. CQLA is a must for me because it teaches me to teach writing. I can use ALL the help I can get! So, I am hoping it will add on nicely. From what I see & hear.....I will do fine. :wink:
I have yet to order my HOD. But as soon as I get clearance from my dh.....look out! I will be using LHTH & Preparing. Can't wait!!

blessings,
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi Ann! Doing a different English program is easy enough to do with any HOD program. I did Bigger... last year though, and my socks were blown off by R & S English 2!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Talk about an awesome English program ... it doesn't look flashy, but it gets great results. Just so you know, all of the great Charlotte Mason things in the Language Lessons for the Elementary child (narration, copywork, poetry, etc.) are all covered beautifully in the Bigger... guide - with the exception of Picture Study (we just did Smart about Art for that). But - whatever you decide will work!

In Christ,
Julie :o :o :o
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

stellar

We use Fll when they are in 1st and 2nd then use

Post by stellar » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:39 am

CLE English in 3rd. I do love how you do not have to use the entire HOD program but can tailor it to each child.

Kari