Concrete vs abstract thinking in BHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
roseannvj

Concrete vs abstract thinking in BHFHG

Post by roseannvj » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:31 pm

I am using BHFHG with my 8 yr old son and 9 yr old daughter. I have noticed that my 8 yr old really struggles--really just can't/doesn't-- to answer any question that requires any abstract thinking. He is good with answering any fact questions but all I get from him are blank stares when it comes to making application in the poetry and bible boxes. At first I thought his sister was just beating him to the answer before he could think of anything. But then when I tried having him answer first he really seems puzzled. I've tried to ask other leading questions to try to help him come to the conclusions on his own but that doesn't seem to help him. What do I do with this? Should I spoon feed him the "answers"? Should I leave the questions unanswered? Is there a magical age that the ability to think abstractly just turns on?
Roseann
Res2Ref- 12 & 13 y/o
PHFHG - 10y/o
BHFHG - 8y/o
LHTH - 5 yr old

Kteni

Re: Concrete vs abstract thinking in BHFHG

Post by Kteni » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:10 pm

That is a tough Q. I know only a little from Child Psych 150 waaaaaay back. But it seems age 9-11 is still mainly concrete and things like role play games help children identify others points of view. Reading good books helps them see through others points of view. It isn't thought that children really come into their own true abstract thought processes until 12+. Keep in mind the variable of girls maturing much more rapidly than boys coming into that zone as well. I think only a person educated and working in the field of child development could really say anything for sure about your son's learning experiences. I always find it comforting to hear from other mamas who are having or had similar experiences or observations. I hope you get some good connections on it here. I do notice my son has been later in age at a lot of cognitive milestones but he has continued to reach them in his own time. I think all children do, boys or girls.
What a blessing that your children have a mama who cares to observe and explore their development. There are many mamas who don't see the big picture. May God encourage you.
in {heart} 17 years
yarngirl 14- CTC w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
legoboy 11 - Bigger w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
tractorboy 5 - LHTH 1/2 speed
camobaby 3 - tractorboy's shadow

roseannvj

Post by roseannvj » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:24 am

Thank you for your input and encouragement.
Roseann
Res2Ref- 12 & 13 y/o
PHFHG - 10y/o
BHFHG - 8y/o
LHTH - 5 yr old

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:32 pm

I think the goal is to move ahead in this area. So if your child really doesn't seem like they can do it at all, you help them take the next steps. You model, ask questions, repeat, etc (still keeping it encouraging and short) until you think they at least get the idea of it.

For the thinking questions I encourage any kind of answer, I just want them to tell me what they think. Then I often will share what I think, say "well here's what I think" and try to model a good, simple answer. But I do not try to say that their answer is "wrong" or not as good as mine, just that each of us needs to think about the question and give our best answer. I want to make this kind of activity less intimidating for them, so that when they are ready to do it on their own they like it.

My 9 1/2 year old has grown leaps and bounds in this area through Bigger and Preparing. In Bigger she often wouldn't answer or couldn't, but now she gives very thoughtful answers to these questions and I am really proud of how she has grown. I've had Sunday School teachers tell me they really see how she thinks through things and remembers and understands the things they are studying.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:57 pm

Keep in mind that, in general, 1/3 of the concepts in HOD are meant to be review (pretty much mastered and are now in the practice phase), 1/3 are meant to be practiced (introduced previously and now practiced to strengthen), and 1/3 are meant to be introduced (brand new). :D Skills move through this sequence purposefully from year to year within HOD guides. So, for example, the skill of using contextual clues to determine the definition of new vocabulary is introduced through the vocabulary cards activity in BHFHG, practiced in PHFHG with the same activity only with more words, and in CTC cross-curricular applied by utilizing scientific terminology learned from reading material to answer provided comprehension questions. I just share this so you know that your dc are not going to master every skill in BHFHG, and that is intentional. :D Isn't that a relief?!? :) Everything cannot be new and mastered within 1 year, and your younger ds will be no where near mastering skills at the same level or pace as your older dd. I hope this can help take the pressure off! :D Progress, steadily forward at a slow and intentional pace is what will eventually lead to mastery. Just keep completing the lessons in the daily plans for BHFHG, and you will see progress - probably in different areas and at different rates for your 2 different aged kiddos - but progress to be celebrated, for sure! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie