Bigger Unit 5 Day 3 Science question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
quiverfull

Bigger Unit 5 Day 3 Science question

Post by quiverfull » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:04 pm

I'm just not sure what the answers to the questions are supposed to me. I'm feeling really dumb right now :oops: I would quote them here, but don't want to violate any copyright rules.
Help!
Married for 30 years….Mom to 9~
Five graduated, four still in school. 28, 26, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 12, 10

Used/Using
WH
WG
MTMM
Rev2Rev
CtC
Preparing
LHFHG

Nealewill

Re: Bigger Unit 5 Day 3 Science question

Post by Nealewill » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Okay - so we had a ton of fun with this one! My son first wiped his hands with the towel - nothing. The glitter doesn't stick to the towel. Then we tried water. We talked about the fact that water is sticky and that we are sticky. So the water sticks to us but doesn't really stick to the glitter. Then we talked about soap. Soap is sticky too and even stickier than the water. So the germs will stick to the soap more than to us. But water and soap will mix and when water floods down on soap, the soap will easily wash away taking the germs with it.

A while back I saw a video on this on u-tub or PBS or something and my kids had also read a book on it too (we just randomly found a book about water being "sticky" at the library.) Plus, I taught a chemistry class at my co-op and it very scientifically discussed why water sticks to us not to fats and how soap has the missing links (atoms) that gives up protons and electrons and sticks to both water soluble items and non water soluble items. Very interesting stuff for this adult mama as the kids in my class probably didn't really care all that much :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

quiverfull

Re: Bigger Unit 5 Day 3 Science question

Post by quiverfull » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:42 am

Thanks so much, Daneale. That was very helpful. :D
Married for 30 years….Mom to 9~
Five graduated, four still in school. 28, 26, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 12, 10

Used/Using
WH
WG
MTMM
Rev2Rev
CtC