Writing Help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
PoppyD

Writing Help

Post by PoppyD » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi ladies,
You guys have been very helpful lately! So thanks!
We are now using LHTH with my 4 year old. I had already planned out the year for my 1st and 4th graders before falling in love with HOD, so we are waiting until next year to start them with likely Bigger and CTC.
Here's my question (pertaining to my 4th grader and writing). We have used Writing With Ease, levels 1-3, and used some of the writing in the Sonlight LA portions. (We used SL for 3 years) Right now we are using Classical Academic Press' Writing and Rhetoric, Fables. Our plan was to continue on to Narrative next. But now that I know we are planning to use HOD, I want to plan wisely. We haven't bought Narrative yet, so we are able to change out if we want/need to. I think we have 7 or 8 more weeks left of Fables. So I guess I am wondering what CTC will expect in terms of writing? How should we prepare? We have Essentials in Writing 4, but we rarely use it because we are doing W&R most of the time. I've also taken looks at Meaningful Composition and Treasured Conversations. We use CLE for language arts, so I really would prefer a writing curriculum that doesn't spend a lot of time on grammar. Does anyone have a suggested path for the rest of our year that will best prepare us for CTC and HOD in general? And it doesn't have to be any of the above resources. I'm wide open.
Thanks,
Poppy
2016/2017 Preparing - 3rd grade daughter

8arrows

Re: Writing Help

Post by 8arrows » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Have you seen Igniting Your Writing? We really liked that one. You can find it here: http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into ... ations.php
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:19 am

In Preparing, they write short narrations of the history, copy writing from other sources, and make their own poetry based off of Robert Louis Stevenson poems. There is no formal writing curriculum before CTC.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:57 am

This might also be helpful for you to see HOD's writing progression:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8731&p=64455#p63796
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:06 pm

How about getting "Write with the Best" and the "Creation to Christ" guide now, and starting the CTC plans with WWTB half-speed? I think that would be a super way to ease into WWTB, and it would also make your next year an easier start as you'd already be in a great routine with WWTB! :D Also, you'd be investing in something you'll need next year anyway. WWTB is not heavy on grammar, as HOD uses R & S English to fulfill that need beautifully. It is, however, a meaty program as it is based on using classics that provide examples of excellent writing. Going half-speed at first with CTC's plans for WWTB may be really nice. (BTW, if you do end up getting the CTC guide early, you can let HOD know when you order the rest of your CTC Economy Package that you already ordered the CTC guide, and HOD will credit back your package savings - which will save you about $37). HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie