Math Relief Anyone??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4arrows

Math Relief Anyone??

Post by 4arrows » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:33 am

Has anyone ever heard of Math Relief? It is an Algebra I and II and Geometry DVD program. It looks wonderful and cannot find any negative reviews on it, only a lot of positive. A smaller company that doesn't advertise, so not very well known.
Thanks for sharing any experience you may have.
Elizabeth

billswife

Re: Math Relief Anyone??

Post by billswife » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:28 am

We are currently finishing up the last section of Algebra 1 with Math Relief. It has been a good program for my son. What I love about the program is it explains everything very well. If he doesn't get something, he just watches the video again and usually it clicks. We did try a few other Algebra programs before this that just didn't work. I also love that the answer section actually shows how the question is solved not just the answer. The cons of the program are that all the worksheets are hand written. The author thinks that this makes them less intimidating. Another con is that the videos are quite outdated, but we can live with that. The last thing I dislike is that it is so many dvd's and each section (I think there are three) requires a huge binder to store the answers and worksheets. But these are all just superficial things that I can live with!
Overall, I am glad I purchased this for my son. He is really learning Algebra well with it. I have heard that Algebra 2 and the geometry are not as good as the Algebra 1 though.
Ann

DS 17 New American History
DD 13 Rev to Rev
DD 11 CTC

4arrows

Re: Math Relief Anyone??

Post by 4arrows » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:00 am

Ann,
Thank you so much for replying! I love this board and really respect the ladies' opinions. From all the reviews I could find, the only cons were the ones that you listed...all of which I can live with as long as the teaching and content is good. So far, that is what I'm hearing. I went ahead and ordered the first phase to try it out. What do you plan to do after this? Will you try Algebra II with Math Relief? I hadn't heard yet that the other two courses aren't as good. That's a bummer! My daugter tried Module A of Interactive Videotext Algebra and it wasn't a good fit for her. Hopefully, Math Relief will bring her some relief! LOL!
God Bless!
Elizabeth