Rod & Staff English 7 Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Homeschooling6

Rod & Staff English 7 Question

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:30 pm

My 9th grade, 15 year old daughter will start using R&S 7. She has completed Analytical Grammar twice her 6th and 7th grade year. Last year (8th) she used the high school reinforcement book from AG along with Easy Grammar Plus. She has always done most of her grammar on her own now. Will she still benefit from R&S 7 if she continues to be independent in this area? She corrects her own work.

I will confess, I'd love to hand her the TM and student book and let her do this on her own with checking in on Fridays. :roll:

I'm not sure if I'm suppose to still be teaching it at this point.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Rod & Staff English 7 Question

Post by Carrie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:01 am

Linda,

In my opinion, I think that your daughter would still benefit from using Rod and Staff English 7; because it integrates writing and a whole host of other English skills within the program. This will provide a different feel from what she's already had in the past. :D

As far as using Rod and Staff English, I'll share that at our house my oldest son (who just graduated in May) preferred to do his lessons orally with us rather than write out all of the answers. However, due to time constraints for his senior year, he did do the last half of English 8 just the way you are describing in your post. He did the lessons and checked them himself using the Teacher's Guide key. He did share that it was more difficult, and less interesting, to do Rod and Staff English this way. However, it did work for him for that season. :wink:

With my next son in line, who is a sophomore this year, we do still go over his lessons regularly. However, he does enjoy writing out the answers ahead of time to save time during the meeting with us later. Sometimes he has the whole lesson done before he ever gets to meet with us. To me, this is fine as well. We just orally do whatever he has left. With my younger kiddos, we definitely meet each time with them and do 2/3 of the English lesson orally and 1/3 on paper. :D

So, with your older daughter you can decide how best to approach Rod and Staff English to best fit your needs and hers. It may be a changing approach from year to year, depending on what your schedule allows. I do feel that kiddos benefit from some oral discussion and application of the English lessons, simply because English is a spoken as well as a written language! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Homeschooling6

Re: Rod & Staff English 7 Question

Post by Homeschooling6 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:00 pm

Thank you Carrie, for your help. As much as I'd like to sit with her, for now she will have to do most of it on her own :roll: I have 2 younger boys going through R&S 4 that I do teach and the four youngest boys all using a different HOD guide which makes for a long day for mom :shock:

I am going to meet with my daughter at least once a week to see how she's doing. Again, thank you for taking the time to answer.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com