New Member Introduction

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
soniatolson

New Member Introduction

Post by soniatolson » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi, everyone! I am a new HOD member and I would like to introduce myself. My name is Sonia and I am my husband, Greg's, wife and a proud 45 year old mother of my 6 yr old daughter, Makayla, and my 4 yr old son, Zachary. We live in southern Arizona and I have just ordered LHFHG and LHTH and am so excited to get started homeschooling.

My daughter, Mak, went to a private Christian school for Kinder, but we lost our grant (gov't cut backs) so we won't be able to send her back for 1nst grade this fall. We have really struggled with the decision of homeschool vs private school / public school for the past three years, but when we received the one year of tuition grant, we felt it was a sign from the Lord to let her go to private school. She really did quite well and had a good experience overall. But then we found out the grant was revoced by the state for this fall. We can't afford the tuition, and refuse to put our kids in public school. So that sent me off on a mad search to find the right curriculum for this fall.

I knew exactly what I wanted, but was getting frustrated at not finding anything that was a good fit. I had just about settled on KONOS, when in another discussion board, I read about WP and HOD. After looking at both web sites, I knew my search was finally over. Excitedly I put in my order with HOD, and even paid the extra postage to get it here faster!
I love how this program is Christ-centered and not just another "Christian world view" idea.

Does anyone have any tips for this first time homeschooling mom?
Sonia Tolson
"Suffer not the little children to come unto me."

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:02 am

Good Morning Sonja,

I so enjoyed reading your post! You are going to do a GREAT job homeschooling. I am Mary and I've been married to my best friend Scott for 20 years. Together we have 4 sons.

Brandon-16- 11th Grade
Colton-12- 5th Grade
Seth-8- 3rd Grade
Jacob-6- Kindergarten

We have home educated our children since 1998 and it is the BEST experience of my life. Sometimes when I start to think down the road it saddens my heart to know that it really is a short season. We absolutely adore this lifestyle. I will share my tips for new homeschoolers! (this is FUN)

TIPS

1- Read The Joyful Homeschooler by Mary Hood.

2- Make your quiet time more important than anything else.

3- Pray daily for HIS Wisdom and for your children.

4- Use a few minutes the night before to prepare for the next day.

5- Stay plugged into your community! Join your local homeschool support group!

6- Subscribe to homeschooling magazines they will keep you motivated and give you idea's.

7- KEEP IT SIMPLE! I talk to homeschooling moms all the time as our county homeschool support group leader. If there is one thing I hear that gets more families in trouble it is that us moms ( :oops: guilty myself from time to time) take and overcomplicate things. Follow the HOD lesson plans, don't try to add too much. Especially in the beginning. Short, Consistent will net you more results than occassional moments of WOW!

Lastly, I have used both WinterPromise and KONOS and for us HOD was the perfect fit!

Blessings!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:45 am

Welcome Sonia, I think you'll love it here. Image

I'm new too, just started LHFHG with my daughter, and we are loving it! In fact just now (literally...which does mean it is just about time to get off the computer) she asked "is today a school day?". And gave me a quick (without any prompting from me) recap of what she learned in the phonics lesson yesterday! :D
6- Subscribe to homeschooling magazines they will keep you motivated and give you idea's.
There are a few homeschool magizines....do you like one better than the others? I've looked at a few online and really couldn't get a good feel on any of them.

I loved your list Mary!
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:52 am

Welcome!

I am just starting my second year of homeschooling. I have been married almost 8 years and have 3 boys. Bryce 5, Micah 3, and Matthew 1.

We did Little Hearts last year and we had lots of fun. I agree with Mary to take a few minutes the night before to prepare. It is nice to know when you have a painting project :) Also get connected to with a homeschooling group. That has been missing from my life but it is a prioriety this year for me. And overall have fun with your kids, school is short and sweet but they really do learn so there is lots of time for fun in the day.

I am hopefully starting Beyond Little Hearts today as well as Little Hands. We have had sick kids in the house so the start of school got postponed :(

I look forward to gettting to know you online.

Karen
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:25 am

Hi! My name is Crystal mom to Katie age 5 doing LHFHG (we're on unit 7). And Andy age 2.5 who may or may not gently start LHTH. I haven't decided on that yet.
I agree, keep it simple. I am one who tried to over-do and got very negative reactions from my daughter. But we're back on track enjoying school now.
My favorite homeschool magazine so far is The Old Schoolhouse. I also subscribe to the free Daily Focus email from AOP which is an amazing short encouragement from the Bible each day.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:44 am

My advice, as others' before me, would be to relax, and follow the program as written as much as possible. Though it's possible to add things here and there because HOD takes less time than other programs, it is completely unnecessary! HOD uses the CM method and the kids truly learn so much...and the readings are fun for Mom too. :o We are really looking forward to our new year in Bigger...and having the freedom to pursue other interests if we want...like piano, Spanish, co-op, park days, etc...because we will have the time!

Welcome, I feel sure you will enjoy your HOD journey. Hope to 'see' you around. :wink:

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:07 am

Hello Sonia! Welcome. You are going to love HOD and these ladies. We are like a family here. You will do just fine with homeschooling. Just take a deep breath and constantly remind yourself why you are homeschooling- to keep it in perspective on those days you will struggle. :-)
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

annaz

Post by annaz » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:25 am

Hi Sonia, here you are! :lol: I pm'd you!

You made a good choice!!!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:29 am

holyhart wrote:
There are a few homeschool magizines....do you like one better than the others? I've looked at a few online and really couldn't get a good feel on any of them.

Hi Holyhart! (((Big Cyber Morning Hug)))

My two favorite magazines are:

Practical Homeschooling

The Old Schoolhouse
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:19 am

Hi Holyhart! (((Big Cyber Morning Hug)))

Right back at'cha! :D

I'll look into those mags. Thanks!
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Candice

Post by Candice » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:25 pm

Sonia,

Hello, so neat to have you here! This is a great group of ladies and of course, a great curriculum! Welcome!

Candice :D

soniatolson

Thank you all for such a warm welcome!!!

Post by soniatolson » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:20 pm

I already feel like I know you all after spending all day yesterday reading the Forums. Thank you so much for the advise. Being a type A personality I do tend to over do things, so I really have taken to heart your advise on relaxing and not overdoing. God knew that was what I needed to hear, and you ladies are His voice. ((((((BIG HUGS))))) to all of you!!!
Sonia Tolson
"Suffer not the little children to come unto me."

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:36 pm

Welcome!!!
I think the best advice I ever got as a brand new homeschooler was to slow down. :-) It's easy to try and fit as much as possible into your new lifestyle. Now that we've been at this a while I find the temptation to look for that newer, better thing crops up from time to time, but it's easier to avoid because I can see what we are doing is working and we don't need to change! :-)
We have six boys-
Jake (14)
Jesse (12 and 10/12ths :lol:)
Jamie (9)
Benjamin (8)
Greyson (4)
Gabe (2)

Jake's the only one who went to public school, for kindy and first. We've been homeschooling ever since his second grade year; he's starting high school this year. :-)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:38 pm

I was also going to add that I don't get any magazines anymore; I belong to some online forums, read a lot of things online and read my Rainbow resource catalog often!! :lol: I do read all the books and blogs I can find about homeschooling, too. :-)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Carly

Post by Carly » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi Sonia!
Glad you're here.

Carly