Placement question. Ctc or res to ref

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mellamom

Placement question. Ctc or res to ref

Post by mellamom » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:21 pm

My daughter is 13. We have done phfhg , but we're not able to do ctc this past school year. Is it okay to move on to res to ref and skip ctc. We did preparing at 11 with extensions. It worked, but the dictation passages were way to easy for her. I want her to be challenged. However, I know that ctc is when they start doing more independent work. Will I make it harder for her by skipping ctc?
I would appreciate advice on this. Thanks!

StephanieU

Re: Placement question. Ctc or res to ref

Post by StephanieU » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:05 am

Have you looked at the placement chart with fresh eyes? Where does she place today? I bet if you gies some details based off the placement chart, the more seasoned HOD users could help you. I know skipping a guide can be done, but only if placement is not an issue.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

mellamom

Post by mellamom » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:23 am

Looking at the placement chart, I think she could do res to ref. I am just now sure if skipping from preparing to res to ref is too hard of a jump.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:35 am

I have one doing Preparing and one doing Res to Ref right now. My preparing child would not be able to do Res to Ref, but she's only 9, and she's only in unit 8 of Preparing. However, the only real huge difference between RtR and CtC that I'm seeing is that the narrations and readings are longer. My RtR child is 11... she's only 2 units in, but so far she's really not having that much of a jump in work. The reading seems to be a huge jump simply in amount, but it doesn't seem to be much harder to actually read, just more.

I would not think that a 13 year old who can read well would have a lot of trouble doing Res to Ref. Especially if you started out going half speed. That way she can really get it in her mind what is expected of her in which boxes.

Molly

Post by Molly » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:07 pm

My daughter did Preparing with extensions at age 11, so when she finished we skipped CtC and went straight to RtR without the extensions as it is where she placed. She is now part way through RevtoRev. We had tried to combine our girls in Preparing but my younger found it too much of a struggle and is just finishing Preparing now after doing Bigger and will go onto CtC.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

mellamom

Post by mellamom » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:04 am

Thank you both for taking the time to respond. I think we will skip ctc. She is a strong reader. I don't want to move her so far ahead that she would struggle, but I do want her to feel challenged. Thank you for your help.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Let us know if this was a good fit, will you? I'm pretty leery about anyone skipping a guide, as the guides build upon each other very nicely. But, what do you do if you had your older child do a younger guide so combining would work, only to find that the older child really grew into needing to be in his/her own guide? Or, what do you do if you are coming back to homeschooling and your child is older with more maturity and growth in skills? I guess I think these situations warrant a fresh look at the placement chart and a new 'starting place.' CTC is a tough one to miss, as it is quite an increase in skills from PHFHG. However, a strong reader/writer/independent student could do it if accurately placed in RTR. I hope this is a great fit, and the two of you have a terrific year!!! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie