Rod and Staff question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Michaeljenn

Rod and Staff question

Post by Michaeljenn » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:19 pm

How much writing do you require your child to do with Rod and Staff grade 4 and up? We have been doing it orally, but I am wondering if she should be writing at least some of it out. She moans when she has to write, so I usually give in:( However, if it will benefit her, then I want to make her do it, but don't want to overload her. Advice?
Jennifer

Mom to 6 kiddo's:)
18yo graduated PS, in college
17yo finishing up school/dual credit
14yo Christian School, part time
10yo Preparing
7yo Beyond
4yo prek workbooks and read alouds. Hoping to begin LHFHG soon:)

Mumkins

Re: Rod and Staff question

Post by Mumkins » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:46 pm

I believe I've read 1/3 should be written and what's written be practising writting skills. So, if part of the lesson is to write just a letter or one word, you would skip that in favour of writing some senenctes with correct punctuation, capitals, etc.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:29 am

I agree - we write out at least 1 exercise each time. It doesn't take long and my kids do well with it. Even with my younger 2, they are both doing RS2 and they write out 1 exercise (or 1/2 of an exercise if it is really long) each day.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

mommymoles

Post by mommymoles » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:18 pm

We are going through the last part of 2 and getting ready for 3 we try to have them write out at least every other one when they have to do sentences but the ones that would be answered with just one word we do orally for example today they had questions like _____ should be capitalized and the answer was Proper nouns we did all of those orally.

Salena
DD 8 Bigger
DD 6 Bigger
DS 4 just playing