Update on WH guide?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Motherjoy

Update on WH guide?

Post by Motherjoy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:21 am

I know that the first installment of the guide is supposed to come out in "early September." I just wondered if there was a more specific time, like which day or week, that might be? Thanks.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Tiffini

Re: Update on WH guide?

Post by Tiffini » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:57 am

I've been wondering the same thing. I e-mailed Mike last week to ask him that question. They must be too busy to respond right now as I'm sure they are trying to get the details all wrapped up to get this out soon. He thought that they would be mailing the first weeks out on Sept. 8th. Maybe they can verify if that is still the plan? I've been working with that date in mind. Hope this helps! :)
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

aprilmd

Post by aprilmd » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:55 pm

I was told the same thing yesterday. They are hoping to get it in our hands by the 12th.
April - BHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WG & now WORLD HIST
2014-2015
DD 16- World Hist, Chemistry, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 15- World Hist, Bio, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 13- MTMM/ext, finish R&S Eng. 6, Saxon Alg 1

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:32 am

Its my understanding that we are not getting the introduction until March, but what about the appendices? For instance, the "Literary Synthesis Sheet" and "Word and Idea Helper" needed for the living library? Also, the literature box in day 4 mentions a "Literature Journal", if this is explained in the introduction, how are we supposed to know what it is? I'm sure we can guess and just put together a notebook, but I was wondering what the actual plan was.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:00 pm

Ladies,

I'm sorry I didn't see this until now. I haven't been on the board as much lately, as I'm busy writing and proofing right now. :D We're excited about the World History Guide and the way that the plans are coming together. I pray that you will have a great year with the guide and that your kiddos will be blessed through using it. :D

Our plans are to ship the first part of the guide and the notebook pages out on Sept. 9. We had planned to ship on the 8th, but a glitch with the running of the Art Gallery Notebook pages requires that they be re-run, hence the 9th ship date instead. By the way, we think the new notebook pages are absolutely beautiful, and we hope you will think so too! :D

We will be shipping out the first 4 weeks of plans and the first 8 weeks of the notebooking pages (both World History Journal and Art Gallery Notebook). The first 4 weeks of plans will also include any pages from the Appendices that you will need (i.e. Literary Synthesis Sheet, Word and Idea Helper, Narration Tips - oral and written - and the last level of dictation passages). The plans and the notebooks will each go in separate 3-ring binders. All pages in this first set will come 3-hole punched and shrink wrapped. :D

The Literature Journal will simply be a college ruled notebook that you purchase. The Timeline CD that Amy Pak designed for the World History guide will also ship. The timeline figures for that CD are complete for the entire guide. You will print those off your computer. :D

We will make sure that you have any other needed Appendices as each part of the plans ship. :D I will most likely put together a brief list of notebooks/binders needed for each subject and include that along with the plans so that you have an idea of what will be needed as far as general supplies go to complete each subject in the guide. Armed with these tools, we pray you will feel prepared to begin your year. We appreciate your patience! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post, Carrie. I can't wait to get the materials next week. I have one more question if you have the time to answer it. We are doing Week 1 this week with the week printed off the website. She will just fill in the notebook pages when they arrive. Since you are mailing the first 4 weeks, will it be 4 weeks until you send the next installment? I'm wondering if I need to plan for an off week since we have already completed week 1.

BTW, we are really enjoying the first week! My dd really likes the Health book and so do I. What a wonderful resource! The biology is a nice change of pace as well and the DVDs really add to the study. And I cannot say enough about the LL books that I've read so far. I always think I'm pre-reading for my dd, but I get SO much out of them. They really touch me and effect my thinking. I don't know how you come up with these lists of books every year... Everything is already coming together nicely and I'm very grateful. Continuing to pray for your continued improving health and stamina as you work so hard for us!
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:12 pm

Thanks for updating, Carrie. I know we all appreciate it.

We have done the first week at half-pace last week and this week. My son is enjoying it, as always. :) I really mean to pre-read his books, but I haven't been able to. :oops: I need to get on it.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:46 am

Tiffini,

I am so glad that your daughter is enjoying the World History guide already. I am thoroughly enjoying writing the guide too! :D Selecting and finding good books is definitely a search each year! :D I am always so glad when they fall into place. :D

As far as your questions go, we will send the next set of plans based on the start date that begins when the first set of plans ship out. So, if you worked ahead and used the plans off our website, it is probable that you will have a week where you will be waiting for plans to arrive. I apologize for that! For sanity's sake, I need a common date to work from each time the plans (and notebooks) ship. My graphic designer is working with those same dates as is my editor (who happens to be my sweet sister). Be encouraged that both my son and my editor's son are using the World History plans, so they will need them too. :D

We pray you have a wonderful, God-glorifying school year with the World History guide! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:21 am

Motherjoy,

I believe that there are seasons in life and that each season has its own areas of focus. As my oldest son was going through his homeschool years, I was too busy with babies, toddlers, work, Church activities, meals, laundry, and the rigors of writing guides, etc. to have time to pre-read my oldest son's books. I had to rely on others to do this for me, and I had to heed any warnings I found anywhere to help me. I skimmed the books as we did our lessons, but I quickly realized I could either teach or read but I didn't have time for both. You may be in a season like this now. :D I see that you have a very full house with much on your plate.

As moms, we are so quick to bear the burden of guilt if we aren't doing things to their fullest potential. I just wanted to encourage you today that guilt is a joy-stealer. I know, because I let it steal my joy many times. :oops: I continue to have to let things go in order to do the most important things. Just remember that as long as you lean on The Lord, He will fill-in our gaps. My oldest son is a very mature, thoughtful, steady, discerning, hard-working (at times pretty perfectionist) child. He has grown so much in his faith simply by using much of what we've written, or testing much of it for us. He had a less than perfectly planned education and still has thrived in spite of me! :wink:

I believe that children need to be surrounded by excellent material that points them toward The Lord on a regular basis. The interaction with good material and God's Word keeps their minds filled with those thoughts for much of the day. I believe that as homeschool parents we have time on our side, meaning that the sheer amount of time we spend together affords us opportunities all along the way to discuss and mentor our kids. This means that not every moment has to be spent in training and teaching every lesson to the fullest, because the moments through the years added all together will provide that needed time opportunity. As we move through our days I try to be aware of who needs what from me the most. This helps me stay focused. :D

For example, this year my youngest really needs my time for phonics instruction. He also needs to learn to be kinder to his brother, Shaw. I can see his heart is also tender toward The Lord, so he needs encouragement to continue understanding The Lord as his Savior. I can see my next son, needs my time for writing and proofreading what he writes. He also is coming into puberty and needs my time to understand his changing emotions and body. He is my sensitive child, so RTR will need more monitoring for the warnings as he reads. Yet, I know from those tough readings fruitful discussions will come. My next son is my creative child. He works very independently, so I need to make sure to draw him out. Our health discussions this year will be a priority for me to keep us close. Pilgrim's Progress will be another area I really want to oversee. He is grappling with a deeper faith, and I want to encourage that. My oldest is ready to start online college classes. He needs and desires counsel on all areas of adulthood. I know one-on-one discussions at opportune moments are necessary for him as he makes life-changing choices. So, those are my goals for my boys this year. Reading their material, while a worthwhile goal, falls behind these focal points for me. I do realize my situation is different, because I have read the materials as I've planned the guides, however for my oldest son's education that wasn't the case. :wink:

I know that keeping my most important goals for each child in mind when beginning the year, helps me feel less guilty when I can't do everything I personally want to do. I just keep my eyes on the most important things and steadily move forward. :D I take heart in knowing that the guides contain warnings for anything that I need to know about for that day. I try to remember that the plans are designed for the child to interact and think about things that point them toward The Lord and to give them a solid, academic education. If I just do what is planned in the guides each day, I feel good about completing that. :D I focus on the fact that time is on our side in the years ahead as we travel the homeschool path. Someday there will be another season, with different goals. For now, I am learning each day to be as content as possible in the season that I am undoubtedly in!

Blessings,
Carrie

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:40 pm

Motherjoy, We also did the week off the internet. That will just give us another week to go half-speed. :) I loved Carrie's post. There is so much wisdom there. I already had a child behind 10 pages in science. (This is our third week of school, and I thought I was checking.) It is very hard to get everything read and graded! I just pray that God will give me time. He does--but it is on His schedule, not mine. I have never had a school year where I got everything done that I thought I should, but my children are learning, and more importantly, they are learning to love and obey their Savior. My daughter is loving what we have done from the new guide. I found the 23rd plank of the Communist Manifesto interesting (from the art DVD). It says that they must control art critics and museum directors and promote the ugly and meaningless. We recently toured an art museum, and while we enjoyed the Impressionists' exhibit immensely, there was much ugly and meaningless work around the museum as well. My daughter was interested in an ancient hammer whose metal cannot be replicated, and she loves Unveiling the Kings. I am excited about what we will learn together this year.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

aprilmd

Post by aprilmd » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:34 pm

I got a notification that I have a package coming from HOD. COULD IT BE, COULD IT BE??!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
April - BHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WG & now WORLD HIST
2014-2015
DD 16- World Hist, Chemistry, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 15- World Hist, Bio, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 13- MTMM/ext, finish R&S Eng. 6, Saxon Alg 1

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:08 pm

Me too!!
Charlene

Rev2Rev (8th gr. ds)
World History (11th gr. dd)
HOD Users since 2007

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:18 pm

Me three!!!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

dianeh47

Post by dianeh47 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:38 pm

Me four!!!!
Blessings,
Diane

Began HOD in 8/2008
Joel -18 US2 History

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:37 pm

SouthernMrs wrote:Me too!!
8arrows wrote:Me three!!!
dianeh47 wrote:Me four!!!!
aprilmd wrote:I got a notification that I have a package coming from HOD. COULD IT BE, COULD IT BE??!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

This guide is many years away for us...but I am enjoying the anticipation and am excited right along with you! :D I look forward to everyone's updates as they journey through the new guide.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)