PHFHG Timeline Example?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
EcclesiasPathway

PHFHG Timeline Example?

Post by EcclesiasPathway » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:46 pm

We just started Preparing and this is our first year homeschooling and using HOD. We loved the first week. The only question I have is about the timeline. Does someone have a picture of what it's supposed to look like? I searched online, but the results I got look nothing like what the guide describes. Some had notebook pages instead of the cards, others had the cards, but all strung together in one line for the entire year. I looked at the diagram in A Child's History of the World, (which the guide says would be similar to the timeline the students will make), but the number of blocks don't add up to what the guide suggests, which is 18 blocks in the longest row of 4 rows. Are there supposed to be spaces between these rows, or do they zig zag like the diagram in the CHOTW book?

MelInKansas

Re: PHFHG Timeline Example?

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Well, we did one very long line, because that is how my DD really wanted to do it. Sometimes if I quibble with her over interpretation of instructions she gets really upset. If you do that, just remember as it suggests to use packing tape to stick the cards together with, because that makes it a lot sturdier. The ones we initially put together with scotch tape kept coming apart when she would unfold it.

It says the other option is a staircase kind of thing on a door. I can't see how you could fit 18 cards across if you did it on a door, I think you would have a lot more rows that way.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:37 am

With Jayden, she wanted to do the accordion style, one long row, thing... we really lost steam with that and it ended up with about half of them just stuck in a baggie.

With Grace I've made a chart similar to the ones used in Bigger and Beyond, just without dates. When she finishes one row, she will move on to the next.... I really like this way so far.

We haven't had one doing Preparing without a toddler who would pull cards off the door and eat them.... maybe I'll be able to do that with Julianna?

EcclesiasPathway

Post by EcclesiasPathway » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks for your input. Since I have two girls in PHFHG together, they decided are each going to do their own timelines on poster board that they can slide under the bed when not needed. As far as the rows are concerned, we are just going to paste them on as Carrie describes in the guide and hope it works out right. :wink:

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:25 pm

That will probably work really well and look great! I love that the kids do the timeline themselves and really make it their own. I think it helps them remember so much more that way.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:54 pm

First time doing Preparing my ds picked the accordion style and it worked out great. I had to help him put it together at first, but once he got the hang of it, he did a great job and it turned out as described. :D

Current ds chose to put it on a door and we are surely going to run out of room. At that time, we'll come up with plan B :? We don't have toddlers in the house and the toddler "nieces" and nephews, who come to visit have not been interested in tearing the cards of the door! PTL This would cause great stress to my ds. :oops: I check the school room every time they leave the house. :mrgreen:

Just remember as pp said, the kids remember best when they draw and write their own cards! That's what it's mostly about!

I do appreciate Carrie's creativity :idea: in changing the way we do timelines in the different guides :D

Success :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:57 pm

You have some great answers here already! :) Here are some pictures if you are visual gal...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4281&p=31545#p31545

Enjoy PHFHG - such a treat to do! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie