brag on Evie (slightly OT) and a big thanks to the board

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

brag on Evie (slightly OT) and a big thanks to the board

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:28 am

Evie is K age this year. I had told several people this spring that if she were not homeschooled I would hold her back because she's just not ready, but that I thought she just needed a few extra months, not necessarily a whole year. So with that in mind I was going to go ahead and start LHFHG, but go 1/2 speed 3-4 days per week. I tried that a few weeks ago. It was NOT going to work.

This is where I"ve grown. I've learned that if you back off a bit, let them mature a bit, they tend to learn things easier. Before, with any of the others, I would have pushed through. Making school miserable for all of us. I decided that until Christmas we are going to do unit studies, math, and FMS. I decided I wasn't going to worry that she didn't know her letter sounds completely (she can't say them either even when prompted, so I'm thinking there is a connection issue between what is said and what she hears... she's in speech) and that she couldn't sit and listen to the stories. So I stopped.

Last week she started a new game... she wants us to say a word and she figures out what letter it starts with. She can also now figure out what letter it ends with (or sound anyway, but we try to stick with easy CVC words). Some she still has trouble with and can't easily figure it out, I've learned what those are (R, W, Y mainly) and skip them most of the time at the moment.

This week we started our first unit study. For whatever reason I picked flowers. She is picking up on the words in the picture books! Like today, one of the pages said "birds and bees"... she said "I know how to spell birds!!" and she read the letters for the word birds. I was not pointing at the words when I was reading. So the only things I can tell was that 1.)she was listening, 2.)she was listening well enough to know the order, and 3.)she knew that those letters made words. Now it is also extremely possible that she read it, but I'm not counting my chickens ;)

She's also able to color inside the lines now. She's very bendy, so writing/coloring is very hard. I really do not expect much at the moment.... we are working on building those muscles. However this morning she colored a picture so well that I thought her sisters had done it.

I have to give a good deal of credit to this board for my growth. A good bit of it was hearing over and over that a lot of times it's better for them to be in the older age range for a guide. It has helped me so much to not expect that, even though she's been five a couple of months, for her to be able to do LHFHG right now! That it's OK to wait for her to be ready!

Samuel'sMommy

Re: brag on Evie (slightly OT) and a big thanks to the board

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:39 am

Yay for Evie! (and for mom!)
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Molly

Post by Molly » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:28 pm

That is so great. I too, have learnt this lesson, however a little late with my almost 9yr old. We have struggled for the last three or four years with reading. He is now going through the emerging readers and is ready for them. I know now with him I should have waited until he was 7 or 8 before beginning him. He would probably be exactly where he is now.

Anyway, may you and Evie continue to enjoy learning together.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:53 pm

It sounds like she is doing great, happy and thriving and learning lots of things! Good for you for just waiting when you knew she needed to wait.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

2littlemisses

Post by 2littlemisses » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:39 am

Hooray!

What a gift to be able to be along side our children when they are learning and figuring things out.
DD 10
DD 8
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, using BHFHG & PHFHG this fall

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:47 pm

That is so great to read. I have one child who was a little bit on the slower end and he is now soaring!
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM